|This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.|
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
Clockwise from top: Two Midrasian F15Es conduct a bombing run; Remnants of the Appian Wall near Perpignan; Veleazan 5th Armoured Century crosses into Midrasian territory; Midrasian soldiers on patrol near basecamp south; Remnants of the Miersan Imperial Plane after it was shot down in early May
Commonwealth of Democratic Nations
|Commanders and leaders|
| Melcion Portas
| Enrique Vincente|
|Casualties and losses|
| 189 KIA
The Triskaideka War, otherwise known as the Appian War, or the Third Mydro-Veleazan War was an armed conflict between the forces of The People's State of Veleaz and the Republic of Midrasia between April 13 and June 23 in 2018. The war broke out on Friday 13th of April at 11:53am as the Veleazan military detonated explosives at the Appian Wall, significantly damaging the Anti-Communist Barrier. An official declaration of war was not sent by Veleaz until after the attack on the border wall. Following this attack, Veleazan forces advanced into the Midrasian province of Est, making significant progress due to a lack of significant defensive infrastructure or troops within the area.
The war was one in a long line of conflicts between Veleaz and Midrasia which have defined relations between the two states throughout from the late Nineteenth Century to the present day. Despite a lapse in formal confrontations since the 1980s the Veleazan government began to engage in more hostile overtures with Midrasia from early 2018 onward, which was speculated to have been the result of a rising number of refugees attempting to flee the Socialist State into neighbouring countries such as Chalcia and Midrasia. The refugee crisis eventually culminated in a couple of major incidents between the two nations, regarding the Veleazan government's killing of refugees attempting to cross over into Midrasia. This resulted in an a number of international sanctions being placed on Veleaz and its close ally Wallais. Following the sinking of a ship of refugees just outside of Midrasian waters, the Midrasian government issued an ultimatum to the Veleazan government to explain its actions or face "international retribution". The Veleazan government issued no official response to Midrasia until its official declaration of war on April 13th.
A number of foreign governments have pledged support to the combatants in the war, with Dreyvisevich using the war as a justification to pacify the growing instability in eastern Veleaz. Following the activation of Article I, Section II of the Cyningburgh Pact by Midrasian Consul Melcion Portas, a number of foreign nations, mostly within the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations pledged their support to the Midrasian government, either in military or economic aid.Out of the nations within the Drago Entente, both Aquidneck and Chalcia pledged direct military support for the Midrasian Republic.
Veleazan Refugee Crisis
On April 15th, two days after the war began, the Senate of Aquidneck formally voted to approve a declaration of war against Veleaz. The declaration had overwhelming support in the Senate as Midrasia was a Commonwealth ally that activated the Pact. The elite Arditi unit was quickly sent to the front lines to engage in covert reconnaissance missions and supply intelligence back to the allies. Due to the closed off isolated nature of Veleaz, reliable intelligence was hard to come by at the start of the war. The special operations unit supplied the Ufficio dell'Intelligence Militare with information that was quickly analyzed and relayed to allies.
The Asur Fleet of the Marina Militare was mobilized and sent to aid Midrasia. Some parts of the fleet went south towards Chalcia to aid in expected fighting there. The fleet participated in the Battle for Alzur Island and engaged in extensive bombardment of the enemy positions on the beaches around the islands. Aquidish Marines later assisted their Midrasian counter-parts in storming the beaches and taking the island for Midrasia. In Chalcia the Marina Militare fired upon advancing Veleazan troops and armor and conducted air raids on Veleazan positions.
The Aeronautica Reale, operating out of Viscusi Air Base conducting regular bombing runs of military targets in Veleaz. The Aeronautica Reale did not conduct any operations in Midrasian airspace without the prior consent of the Midrasian government and mostly focused on targets in Veleaz to avoid accidents resulting in Midrasian loss of life or property. Air support in Chalcia fell to the Marina Militare as there was no Aquidish air force positioned nearby to assist.
The Aquidish Army parachuted several teams of the Paracadutisti Elite dell'Esercito Reale to fight on the Midrasian-Veleazan border. Three divisions of the Esercito Reale were mobilized and sent across Aquidneck and Midrasia to fight at the border. The Esercito Reale saw the majority of Aquidish causalities in the war, but supported and assisted their Midrasian counterparts throughout the conflict.
Commonwealth of Democratic Nations
The Triskaideka War marked the first time that a member states of the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations was invaded and that Article I, Section II of the Cyningburgh Pact had been activated. Midrasia and Chalcia were both invaded and of the 9 other active members at the time of the conflict only Aquidneck sent aid in the form of boots on the ground. Vrnallia sent aid in the form of a hospital ship stationed in the Asur Sea off the Midrasian coast. Member state Carcossica and observer state Edreland both pledged aid to Midrasia and Chalcia.
Some scholars and pundits have viewed the response of the members of the CDN with shock. Some have said that it shows how weak the alliance is saying that the members were caught off guard by the invasion of two member states and the that lack of political will among some of the members to send any military assistance showed that the alliance cannot be sustained in its current form. Others say that the Asuran members had grown to complacent in their feelings that Asura is a stable and safe continent and that conflict was unlikely.
Some leaked reports have shown that the Aquidish government was aghast at the lack of response by other members and exerted a great deal of pressure on the other members, particularly those in Lhedwin, to meet their treaty obligations to the alliance. It is unknown how the Midrasian and Chalcian governments have viewed the alliance in the aftermath of the conflict.
The refugee crisis continued throughout the war and was exasperated by the conflict. Many Veleazan civilians were uprooted by the conflict and many more used the chaos of the situation to flee the oppressive Veleazan regime. Due to the nature of the conflict many refugees were fleeing through areas that were in conflict. Refugees poured across the Veleazan borders into neighboring countries such as Midrasia, Chalcia, Dreyvisevich, Brilliania, and Miersa.
Other refugees took to the Asur Sea in overcrowded boats in attempts to get to safety. The Marina Militare reported rescuing hundreds of refugees from unsafe boats, the Aquidish government brought these refugees to an area in Aquidneck near the city of Pale. The Aquidish government has stated that the Veleazan's asylum claims will be processed and in the mean time they would be allowed to stay in Aquidneck. The Aquidish Minister of Jusitce, Emanuele Scinto, has stated that the government would like to see the refugees returned back to Veleaz once the country is stabilized and safe.
The Aeian Public Health Organization has an extensive aid operation for the Velazan refugees throughout Asura. The APHO is working closely with the governments of countries that are hosting refugees and is ensuring that the refugees are being taken care of and treated humanely. The APHO is engaged in public relations campaign throughout Asura and Aeia to educate the public on the Veleazan refugee crisis, to solicit donations, and to change public perception on what a refugee is. However, the collapse of the Peoples' State of Veleaz has only seen the numbers of refugees fleeing in surrounding countries grow.
- Aquidneck: Prime Minister Ruperto Petrillo immediately condemned the attack in a speech on the floor of the Aquidish Senate. In his statement he said he has directed the Defense Council to co-ordinate with the Armed Forces of Midrasia. The Esercito Reale and Aeronautica Reale were mobilized and a portion of the Marina Militare's Asur Fleet has been directed towards the fighting. Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Renata Panzera has stated that Aquidneck will fully meet its obligations to Midrasia and the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations.
- APHO: The Director General of the Aeian Public Health Organization, Kelly Iaukea, has called on all sides to respect the standard rules of engagement and to allow medical aid workers to enter the country and work in safety. APHO aid efforts begun early on in Eastern Midrasia, mostly dealing with treatment of wounded and the evacuation of civilians. APHO access to Veleaz was severely restricted with most of the work in that country being done in the Eastern sections that were being stabilized by the Dreyvisevite Army. The APHO was active in Chalcia in getting medical assistance and international aid to the areas that were in conflict.
- Brilliania: Lehendakari Haran Elexalde reinstated conscription via decree as the first ever Lehendakari to do so . The conscription decree was issued due to the Triskaideka War, and several thousand conscripts will supplement 6,000 troops which will be sent to assist forces from CDN nations including Midrasia.
- Dreyvisevich: With Dreyvisevich's recent interventionist stance on regional conflict, it is unsurprising that the nation joined the war just 2 days after it started, on the 15th of April. The declaration of war was made on the grounds of Veleaz's 'uncalled-for, repeated and flagrant violation of international law' that 'has been deemed contrary to the security interests of Dreyvisevich'. An official statement from the Dreyvisevite government on the 14th of April read that "There is little tolerance for such unconfined aggression by a neighbour of Dreyvisevich. We cannot allow ours and others' security interests to be endangered by Veleaz." The Dreyvisevich Armed Forces has been mobilised and is currently engaging Veleazean troops across the border. Artillery and air strikes are also being made on strategic military locations in Veleaz that are intended to reduce the latter's aggressive capabilities.
- Edreland: Prime Minister Nicholas Jardine pledged unspecified support for Midrasia on 14 April, one day after Edreland joined the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations as an observer state.
- Hipasia: The Knesseth voted in May to formally end the Hipasian-Veleazan Partnership, in place since Hipasia's independence in 1900, as a direct result of Veleaz's invasion of Midrasia. PM Jonah Lavan stated that Veleaz "has not shown itself to be an ally of peace and stability" and announced that he would be seeking deeper alliance to the Jisthaheva Treaty Organisation.
- Songdang: The President of Songdang, Chi Shin-Il, condemned the government of Veleaz saying "Veleaz has disrupted the stability and security of the region for quite sometime. It is incumbent upon all rational actors in the international scene to express through our words and our actions that this behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated." The Songdangin Navy sent a frigate and a contingent of marines to aid Chalcia in repelling the invasion forces.
- Vrnallia: The Vrnallian government condemned Veleaz for "a terrible attack on not just a Vrnallian ally, but a most noble and upright nation", and offered to lend its aid to the CDN by sending the hospital ship VHS Jasthidiád into the Asur.
- "The Wall Shall Fall!". El Estándar de los Trabajadores. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33834270#p33834270. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Consul calls State of Emergency". La République. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836150#p33836150. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Midrasia and Veleaz Clash in Asur". Esquile de la Libertat. 10 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33817839#p33817839. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Lehendakari Reinstates Conscription". Akerrau Eguneroko. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836299#p33836299. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "The Navish Security Council re-unites for the first time since the 1930s". NINK. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836758#p33836758. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Senate declares war on Veleaz and its allies". The Toden Times. 15 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33845208#p33845208. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Veleaz invades the Chalcian Republic". Chalcia Today. 19 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33872413#p33872413. Retrieved 21 April 2018.