|This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.|
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
|Commanders and leaders|
| Melcion Portas
| Enrique Vincente|
The Triskaideka War, otherwise known as the Appian War, or the Third Mydro-Veleazan War is an ongoing armed conflict between the forces of The People's State of Veleaz and the Republic of Midrasia. The war broke out on Friday 13th of April at 11:53am as the Veleazan military detonated explosives at the Appian Wall, significantly damaging the Anti-Communist Barrier. An official declaration of war was not sent by Veleaz until after the attack on the border wall. Following this attack, Veleazan forces advanced into the Midrasian province of Est, making significant progress due to a lack of significant defensive infrastructure or troops within the area.
The war is one in a long line of conflicts between Veleaz and Midrasia which have defined relations between the two states throughout from the late Nineteenth Century to the present day. Despite a lapse in formal confrontations since the 1980s the Veleazan government began to engage in more hostile overtures with Midrasia from early 2018 onward, which is speculated to have been the result of a rising number of refugees attempting to flee the Socialist State into neighbouring countries such as Chalcia and Midrasia. The refugee crisis eventually culminated in a couple of major incidents between the two nations, regarding the Veleazan government's killing of refugees attempting to cross over into Midrasia. This resulted in an a number of international sanctions being placed on Veleaz and its close ally Wallais. Following the sinking of a ship of refugees just outside of Midrasian waters, the Midrasian government issued an ultimatum to the Veleazan government to explain its actions or face "international retribution". The Veleazan government issued no official response to Midrasia until its official declaration of war on April 13th.
A number of foreign governments have pledged support to the combatants in the war, with Wallais honouring its alliance with Veleaz in declaring war against the Midrasian Republic. Following the activation of Article I, Section II of the Cyningburgh Pact by Midrasian Consul Melcion Portas, a number of foreign nations, mostly within the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations pledged their support to the Midrasian government, either in military or economic aid. The Socialist Republic of Dreyvisevich also declared war on Veleaz on 15th April, making it a two-front war.
Veleazan Refugee Crisis
(add reactions here please)
- Aquidneck: Prime Minister Ruperto Petrillo immediately condemned the attack in a speech on the floor of the Aquidish Senate. In his statement he said he has directed the Defense Council to co-ordinate with the Armed Forces of Midrasia. The Esercito Reale and Aeronautica Reale have been mobilized and a portion of the Marina Militare's Asur Fleet has been directed towards the fighting. Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Renata Panzera has stated that Aquidneck will fully meet its obligations to Midrasia and the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations.
- APHO: The Director General of the Aeian Public Health Organization, Kelly Iaukea, has called on all sides to respect the standard rules of engagement and to allow medical aid workers to enter the country and work in safety. APHO aid efforts have already begun in Eastern Midrasia, mostly dealing with treatment of wounded and the evacuation of civilians.
- Dreyvisevich: With Dreyvisevich's recent interventionist stance on regional conflict, it is unsurprising that the nation joined the war just 2 days after it started, on the 15th of April. The declaration of war was made on the grounds of Veleaz's 'uncalled-for, repeated and flagrant violation of international law' that 'has been deemed contrary to the security interests of Dreyvisevich'. An official statement from the Dreyvisevite government on the 14th of April read that "There is little tolerance for such unconfined aggression by a neighbour of Dreyvisevich. We cannot allow ours and others' security interests to be endangered by Veleaz." The Dreyvisevich Armed Forces has been mobilised and is currently engaging Veleazean troops across the border. Artillery and air strikes are also being made on strategic military locations in Veleaz that are intended to reduce the latter's aggressive capabilities.
- Edreland: Prime Minister Nicholas Jardine pledged unspecified support for Midrasia on 14 April, one day after Edreland joined the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations as an observer state.
- Granzery: The National Granzery Defence Force was put into maximum military alert due to the involvement of Wallais in the war. The Granzerian government stated it wanted no involvement in the war and condemned the Veleazan state for their "incomprehensible" and "irresponsible" actions.
- Rohst: The Crown of Rohst swiftly berated the Veleazan government for its declaration of war, harshly condemning Supreme Commissar Enrique Vincente for "further throwing the world in conflict and bloody turmoil." In his official statement in response to the conflict, King Franz announced that Rohstian forces would not be involved in the war "unless proven absolutely necessary", and that the Koninklijk Krijgsmacht stands ready should fighting spill into Coalition-affiliated nations such as Granzery.
- Soled: President Epháyár Ejúkìtsòna condemned the Veleazan government but also expressed neutrality in the relatively distant conflict, stating "they show no respect to the rules of life, international law or human justice. Our most sincerent thoughts go to the Midrasian people and the oppressed innocents of Veleaz. The Soledan state and military does not see itself in capacity or need to intervene".
- Volghar: The Volghari government swiftly condemned the declaration of war, Altanjin Veçuyev Khan declared in an open address to the Petty Counsel that "...once more the spectre of communism has arisen to strike fear into the hearts of good men across the globe, our hearts and prayers go out to our brothers in Midrasia in, this, their time of crisis." Despite this condemnation and open support of the Midrasian side in the conflict, the Volghari military has not been mobilised. The official memo by the department of defense has cited that "Conflict shall not be entered into, unless absolutely necessary. Volghari military personnel and equipment have been judged to not be necessary nor wanted in the conflict in Asura."
- Prusei: Lord Protector of Prusei, Lukas Monte, has declared that the Soldiers State would only intervene in the conflict if it was obligated to or if it was within it's interests to do so. Large elements of the State Army have been amassed on it's border with Wallais in the meantime.
- "The Wall Shall Fall!". El Estándar de los Trabajadores. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33834270#p33834270. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Consul calls State of Emergency". La République. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836150#p33836150. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Midrasia and Veleaz Clash in Asur". Esquile de la Libertat. 10 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33817839#p33817839. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Lehendakari Reinstates Conscription". Akerrau Eguneroko. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836299#p33836299. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "The Navish Security Council re-unites for the first time since the 1930s". NINK. 13 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33836758#p33836758. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Granzerian Military on high alert, Reserve Home Guards mobilized". The Granzery Observer. 14 April 2018. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=388478&p=33839040&sid=5d15c72cddd89f36b489da58c319addd#p33839040. Retrieved 14 April 2018.