Antelope Gelai Memorial Bridge across the Yangshao River
|• Mayor||Ping Tangchin (ND)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Rank||6th in Namor|
|• Summer (DST)||observed (UTC)|
Esquarian City (Namorese: Есикалиячин), informally known by its pre-1957 Inledan name Gulstad (Kinchin in Namorese, meaning "Yellow/Golden City"), is a city in the district of Southern Namor in the People's Republic of Namor. It is located near the location where the Nozama River (Namor's longest river) empties into the East Namor Sea and the confluence of the Nozama River and its tributary, the Yangshao River.
Originally a fishing village, the area now known as Esquarian City was leased to the Kingdom of Inleda in 1515, which established the enclave of Gulstad. Over time, Gulstad grew and prospered; its strategic location besides the Central Ocean allowed it to become a stopping point for Inledan ships conducting trade in Borea and Nautasia. In 1863, administration of the territory was transferred to Luziyca in the aftermath of Luziycan unification. In 1899, Gulstad became a permanent colony of Luziyca as a result of Namor's defeat in the First Namo-Luziycan War. In 1922, the Luziycan Congress passed the Gulstad Act, which granted Gulstad increased autonomy from Luziyca as a dominion.
Gulstad remained under Luziycan control after the Liberationist takeover of Namor in 1925, as the new government hoped the enclave's status as a major port would benefit Namor's war-torn economy. At the same time, the Namorese Liberationists tried strengthening control over Gulstad by influencing ethnic Namorese associations operating there. Namorese tolerance of Luziycan rule ended with the breakout of the Second Namo-Luziycan War. In 1943, Namor invaded and annexed Gulstad, bringing an end to 428 years of Inledan-Luziycan rule over the city. For the next 14 years, Gulstad was closed from the outside world as Namor tried to achieve economic self-sufficiency.
The 1950s saw Namor reverse its hostile policy towards foreign trade, and in 1957 Gulstad was merged with adjacent neighborhoods to form Esquarian City - Namor's first special economic zone. Due to its liberalized trade laws, Esquarian City quickly became one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, and was touted by commentators as "the face of the Miracle on the Nozama River."
Present-day Esquarian City is one of the world's most developed port cities. It is the 6th most populated city in all Namor with a population of 9 million people. While most residents of the city are Namorese, over 20% of the population are foreign citizens - the highest percentage of expatriates in any Namorese city.
Esquarian City has an area of 369.3 km2 (142.6 km2). It borders the estuary outlet of the Nozama River. The Yangshao River flows across the city, to which it serves as an important commercial waterway.
There are seven divisions - three north of the Yangshao and four south of the Yangshao. They are Chunru, Kinshan, Vaigang, Kangru-pei, Kangru-nan, Yangshao Xhinan'an (Southwestern Bank of the Yangshao River) and Yangshao Tungnan'an (Southeastern Bank of the Yangshao River).
Two main highways run through Esquarian City - Interdistrict Highway 12 and Interdistrict 112, an auxiliary route of Interdistrict 12.
The city is connected by the Namo-Esquarian City-Sicho Railway Line, a high-speed railway line.