Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties
|This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.|
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
|The Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties
|Motto: In Capitalism We Trust|
|Anthem: Hail Thee, Thy Counties|
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
Map of the Liberated Counties
|Official languages||English (Official) Countesian (Cultural)|
|Ethnic groups||56% Countesian
|Government||Semi-Democratic Corporate Federation|
|-||Head CEO||James Emmanuel|
|-||Vice CEO||Nathan Emmanuel|
|-||First Lady||Natasha Emmanuel|
|-||Upper house||CEO Council|
|-||Lower house||Public Relations Council|
|-||Countesian Alliance||2nd July 1819|
|-||Countesian Unification||14th January 1820|
|-||GOVCON Uprising||9th September 2009|
|-||Federal Establishment||8th November 2009|
|-||Total Land Area||9,886,670 km2
3,817,265 sq mi
|-||2034 census||3.928 billion|
|GDP (nominal)||2034 estimate|
|-||Per capita||42,042,43 cr|
|Time zone||−3.5 to −8|
|-||Summer (DST)||−2.5 to −7 (UTC)|
|Drives on the||right|
The Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties, more commonly known as The Liberated Counties, is a country located within the regional influence of Capitalist Paradise. The country consists of one Federal Capital, seven Counties and seven Overseas Provinces, all of which split up into hundreds of Districts and independent Boroughs. The country is most famous for its status as being 100% privatized with corporations acting as governments and a complete absence of any social policies.
The Liberated Counties is a Semi-Democratic Corporate Federation, and is ruled by a non-elected CEO Council and a elected Public Relations Council. The latter are mostly responsible for running the nation on a day to day basis while the CEO's run their colossal enterprises. The Liberated Counties enjoys a gargantuan GDP due to this system of government, which is also minarchist in nature in order to maximize profits.
The country maintains a large arsenal of allies and a network of embassies across the globe. The Liberated Counties usually refrains from maintaining relations with communist nations, since it is constantly at war with such nations to impede the growth of communism.
Human migration into the area began approximately 10,000 years ago, It is commonly agreed among historians and scientists alike that migration firstly came from across the sea, followed by migration from the continent around 100 years later. This conclusion has genetic and archaeological evidence, since findings have suggested two independent cultures flourished in the region, one agrarian, and one reliant on fishing. These cultures had little to no contact, further suggesting the existence of two civilizations totally ignorant of one another. Human settlement is thought to have been caused by the end of the ice age, as receding glaciers allowed sea passage for the migrants from across the ocean. It is also agreed that the same event forced the land migrants to settle the area, as to avoid the severe flooding caused by melting ice.
The agrarian people, who mostly inhabited the western plains, lived in small villages of around 50-100 people. Agriculture kept populations small, and villagers lived in roundhouses constructed out of wood and pelt, which themselves were centered around large structures known Longhouses, which served as the heart of the village, where farmers would store their harvests and shelter their livestock during the bitter winters. Early forms of irrigation revolutionized agricultural practice, and villages quickly expanded to have populations of 200 or more, with the largest known example having around 800 residents.
Archaeological evidence, supported by genetic evidence, suggests that the first signs of Countesian culture began around 2000 B.C when the two cultures presumably assimilated each other when they eventually came into contact. No evidence of violence has been found, so it it assumed that the two people peacefully merged, creating the ancestors to the Countesian People.
Being a count was a bloody business, when they weren't fighting each other over land or resources they battled their own kin in order to maintain their position. Entire noble families would compete for the role as count, however only the most adaptable individual could win such a role. All this infighting among the leadership caused severe poverty, crippling starvation and civil unrest across the lands which would forever keep the Countesians from ever prospering.
It was only the devastating Countesian-Babylonian war of 1819 that forced the counts to set aside their differences and fight a united front against the enemy.
The war was coined the New Year War by historians, due to the fact the initial invasion began on New Years day, 1819. The entire war was unexpected, and was definitely not prepared for. An Armada numbering in the thousands simply appeared on the horizon overnight and within 3 months had besieged and occupied the entire eastern Counties, including the wealthy town of Urbem, using it as their staging ground for their invasion into the west. Throughout this, The armies of the Counts were actually equal in strength to the armies of the invaders, however they refused to stand together. And as a result were systematically routed time and time again.
7 Months into the war, the Babylonian advance had now slowed down due to bad weather, however this breif respite would not last long. Desperate, the Counts met in the small village of Molena in a historical summit known as the Matters of State Emergency Summit to discuss what to do. all the summits prior to this had failed to achieve anything, however since bitter defeat was looming ever so close the Counts finally agreed to sign the Countesian Defense Pact, which would ally every Count and their armies into one united front.
The effect of this pact was felt immediately, and by the end of 8th month the entire Babylonian war machine came to a grinding halt as they began to clash with the united Countesian armies. This bitter and vicious stalemate would last for another three months, until the war became too financially expensive for the Babylonians to bother continuing.
When the Babylonians finally called for a ceasefire, the exhausted peoples of the Counties began to celebrate their victory almost immediately after, and waves of nationalism never seen before began to spread across the land as the Countesians had finally set aside their differences and pushed forward as one. The armies of the Counts had also died and fought together during this time, instilling a sense of unbreakable brotherhood among their ranks. Now both the Civilians and the Military now called for unification. What followed led to the creation of the Kingdom of Counties as the counts swore allegiance to King Blake I, the strongest Count at the time.
As soon as the political instability once fueled by the troublesome counts ceased, the Kingdom of Counties, for the first time ever, found itself in a golden age under the wise rule of King Blake I, for under his rule, economic and diplomatic reforms brought in vast amounts of trade. The Golden Age would continue to prosper for over 190 years under a steady line of monarchs ruling through a constitution. it was here that the Countesians learnt to become shrewd businessmen during this economic boom. This was undoubtedly an era of extravagant culture and infinite wealth, and also a time of overseas expansion, as the nearby island of Eriacre was wrestled from native control and became the first demonstration of Countesian military might, and was a crucial milestone in the ascension of the Counties into a superpower.
However, the golden age came crashing down in 2006, after the sudden death of Queen Adriane II. A young, foolish King was brought to the throne. Barely an adult, he quickly fell out of favor with his own parliament and eventually lost much support from his own people after he began to violate the constitution and implement radical socialist policies that even the left wing of his parliament opposed. He was also very unfair on the business, soon making a sworn enemy of them after nationalizing many services.
Making an enemy out of his nations industry would prove to be the end of the monarchs, for under his inept rule the Kingdom of Counties had become so poverty stricken yet again by 2009, a quasi-governmental Corporate Union took matters into their own hands and ousted him from power through a massive military and economic coup that swiftly disposed of the now unpopular Monarchist government. This Union would restructure itself to become GOVCON, and take the mantle of government.
After GOVCON took up the role of government, a new constitution was written which abolished the kings unpopular socialist and unitary policies and granted the seven corporations of GOVCON self rule over their home county. This unusual of system government of was officially coined a 'Corporate Federation' by GOVCON after Urbem City was declared the Federal Capital, and thus, the Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties, a federation of megacorporations, took shape. Another economic boom shortly followed and the country entered the Second Countesian Golden Age which saw the arrival of hundreds of thousands of immigrants from less prosperous nations and the acquisition of a half dozen new colonies. as of present, GOVCON remains settled in Urbem City, adopting Minarchist policies which makes GOVCON only responsible for Defence, Education, and International Relations and semi-responsible for Law Enforcement. Individual counties are responsible for taking care of the other department
The Armed Forces, led by Centurion Industries, is composed of hundreds of security firms who trains soldiers, sailors and pilots for the protection of the Liberated Counties
The Privatised nature of the Armed forces is heavily criticised, claiming the lack of professionalism and patriotism leads to a barbaric outlook of war, despite this, the Armed forces has done its job for GOVCON by defending it from threats both domestic and foreign for years. GOVCON Armed Forces is currently headquartered in Urbem city, directly opposite from GOVCON HQ.
As well as receiving a military pension, Veterans receive a Military Discount, which is 35% off anything bought.
The Countesian Federal Army numbers at around 13,563,584 enlisted soldiers. Despite boasting such abundant manpower, only 1,356,358 are currently active. The majority of the army is placed in the reserve army, where they are usually abroad serving contracts for Centurion Industries.
Soldiers trained by Centurion Industries and its subsidiaries form the bulk of the Liberated Counties fighting force. More fierce and cunning than standard troops, Mercenaries abilities tend to depend on the security firm that trained them however GOVCON enforces a standard training regime and layout, though it is still common for firms to variate the layout slightly. soldiers which Centurion train themselves tend to be of better quality. The four main elements of the army are the Light infantry, the Rangers, the Infantry, And the Special Forces
- Light Infantry: are capable of quick deployment, quick movement, and are exeptional at flanking and scouting.
- Rangers: are the best shooters in the army, essentially heavy infantry, they will usually be deployed in situations which more precision is needed than the Infantry can provide.
- Infantry: form the bulk of most armies. And don't have a particular speciality. infantry units can be armed with almost anything and can be expected to use it sufficiently well. They also contain the Mobile infantry and Armored infantry units.
- Special Forces: are an umbrella term for various units of the army responsible for clandestine operations, the Special Forces include the Paratroopers, Counter-Terrorist, Special Operations, Black-Ops and various other classified units.
- Armored Core: are the department of the army responsible for managing and operating the armys fleet of battle tanks and all other armoured ground units not belonging to the Armoured Infantry
Aside from the four core departments of the army, several others exist with more specific roles:
- Mobile infantry: Are a form of light infantry complemented with APC's, they allow for fast deployment, but lack the element of surprise that comes with regular light infantry
- Armored Infantry: they are designed to work more closely with the infantry than regular armoured units, due to their close relationship with the infantry, they are mostly made up of Infantry Fighting Vehicles designed to support friendly troops.
- Army Air Corps: are a version of the Air Force established to work closer with the army. Because of that, are comprised of mostly anti-infantry and anti-vehicular units, such as helicopters and surveillance craft and gunships. Also the Army Air Corps operates GOVCONS transport helicopter fleet transporting troops or supplies.
- Home Guard: Each county is responsible for maintaining its own Home Guard to ensure national security. While the Home Guard isn't directly controlled by the army during peacetime, wartime allows the army to take control if the situation calls for it.
The Navy is responsible for protecting the Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties coastlines against attack from the sea, the duties of the Navy are patrolling territorial waters, keeping trade routes clear and combating piracy. The Marines are part of the Naval department, and are specialized in naval operations, such as amphibious assaults or boarding operations. Marines also serve the Merchant Navy, and act against piracy. A squadron is structured to be very versatile, and can be composed of any ship type required for the situation, allowing for fleets to be deployed quickly and always with a tactical advantage.
GOVCON definitions of naval craft:
- Gunboat - a small craft used to patrol rivers and inland seas.
- Patrol Boat - a craft used around the coasts of territories and several miles beyond.
- Corvette - a ship designed to be fast and maneuverable, specialized in scouting and ASW.
- Frigate - a warship built to be a light escort for other warships, Frigates are versatile craft capable of supporting destroyers, amphibious expeditionary forces, underway replenishment groups, and merchant convoys.
- Destroyer - a warship with less maneuverability and more adapted to be a long endurance vessel primarily designed to eliminate enemy naval support and provide heavy escort to larger ships.
- Amphibious Assault Craft - a warship designed to transport large amounts of land assets across the sea and operate as a heavy supply ship.
- Aircraft Carrier - designed to act as a mobile air base to ensure air support over areas that do not have land based airfields already established. Aircraft carriers must be escorted at all times.
- Minelayers - a boat with the sole purpose to deploy moored minds with adjustable mooring ropes to establish blockades or create safezones against enemy warships. Also double up as a minesweeper.
The GOVCON Sky Force is the department of the Armed forces responsible for Aerial Warfare. The Sky Force is similar to the navy In its structure of units, each squadron can be assigned with whatever unit is suitable for the situation, and because of this highly managed system, the Sky Forces always have the advantage in battle. The Sky Forces prefer to use STOVL and CTOL aircraft over CATOBAR or VTOL variants, and operate using these two systems of takeoff and landing exclusively, arrested landing is available for heavier aircraft.
Each individual county is responsible for maintaining their own police force, however to allow for effective cross county law enforcement all police departments operate in a organisation simply known as the Police. GOVCON shares responsibility for law enforcement with each county, funding half the expenses and operating their own federal-run prisons. The Police and the Military are the only departments who are authorized to use lethal firearms against threats. However the police prefer to use shockets (Shock Bullets) to ensure a non lethal takedown.
The composition of the Police is as follows
- Foot Police - Officers who patrol on foot.
- Motorised Police - Officers who patrol in cars or on motorcycles.
- Riot Police - Officers who are also trained in crowd control and anti-riot.
- SWAT - Officers who specialise in military style tactics to apprehend extremely dangerous individuals and/or groups.
- Secret Police - Special operations officers whose task is to covertly remove individuals who pose a threat to national security.
Immigration and Visas
The Liberated Counties issue five kinds of Visas to people applying to enter the country.
- Single Entry Visa - A Single Entry Visa permits the Visa holder a single stay in the country, and is terminated after the person either leaves the country or is automatically terminated after four months unless extended.
- Multiple Entry Visa - A Multiple Entry Visa allows for multiple trips to and from the country, and is terminated after 12 months unless extended or is terminated at the request of the Visa holder.
- Student Visa - A student Visa permits the Visa holder to study in the country, and also permits tier-3 equivalent employment.
- Working Visa - Refer to Immigration Section
- Refugee Visa - Refugee Visas are not applied for, but are granted for citizens of wartorn or otherwise unstable nations.
The Corporate Federation of Liberated Counties uses a points based system in which an applicants qualifications and skills gain them points, the amount of points they accumulate is then used to categorise them into different tiers. They will then receive a work Visa in accordance with the tier they have achieved.
- Tier 1 - High Skilled 21-30
- Tier 2 - Medium Skilled 11-20
- Tier 3 - Low Skilled 1-10
- Tier 4 - No Skill 0
Depending on what GOVCON needs most of, they will prioritise each tier accordingly.
Once the appropriate working Visa is gained, the person has 12 months (a year) to secure a job. Once a job as been secured, the working permit becomes indefinite. The person can either apply for citizenship or stay a foreign worker indefinitely. Citizenship can be granted once these circumstances are met.
-Have a basic understanding of English. -Have an indefinite working permit. -No severe criminal record -Pass the political inclination test.
-already be married to a current citizen.
-be granted honorary citizenship.
There is no real public education in the Liberated Counties, and normally private education would be too expensive for the average person. However GOVCON realizes the need for a good education, and pours billions into subsidizing the education sector, making education free for all. More prestigious schools refuse this funding and remain costly. The Department of Education is responsible for keeping all schools in the Liberated Counties in line, and holds authority over them all regardless of ownership. Children normally remain at the same school for their entire childhood up till the age of 17. A total of 11 years is spent at school, and a child will spend year one till year eight studying a broad range of general subjects before beginning to study for their chosen GSCES in year nine and finally undergoing examination for them in year eleven. GSCES in the four 'Core' subjects are mandatory, and Five GSCES in the Additional subjects are also mandatory, however the topics to study in are chosen by the students
The 'Core' subjects that children must specifically study are Mathematics, English, Science, Physical Education The 'Additional' subjects vary between schools.
Higher education, such as University or College, is not subsidized. Student loans are available to attend these.