Tapulikaupunki

From IIWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Tapulikaupunki
Tapulikaupungin vapaakaupunki
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
Yrjönkatu Street in Tapulikaupunki
Flag of TapulikaupunkiTapulikaupungin vapaakaupunki
Flag
Coat of arms of TapulikaupunkiTapulikaupungin vapaakaupunki
Coat of arms
Error creating thumbnail: File missing

Location of Tapulikaupunki within Nevanmaa
Country  Nevanmaa
Province NVf.png Valamonmaa
Government
 • Body Tapulikaupunki City Council
 • Mayor Valtteri Härsilä (SDP)
Population (2010)
 • Total 5,416,000 (city limits)
5,693 (Greater Tapulikaupunki)
Demonym Tapulikaupunkian
tapulikaupunkilainen (Nevan)
Tapulikaupunki (pronounced /'tɑpuli.kɑupuŋki/), officially known as the Free City of Tapulikaupunki is the third largest city Nevanmaa and the capital of the province of Valamonmaa. It was the industrial capital of Nevanmaa in the 19th and 20th centuries which made it the largest city in Valamonmaa, surpassing the previous capital of Valaoja in size in 1852. It became the capital of Valamonmaa in 1867.

History

The first traces of civilisation site of Tapulikaupunki were from hunter-gatherer tribes, although its low-lying ground was unadvantageous and the area of the current city remained relatively uninhabited until well into the middle ages. However, the small milling village of Ruusniemi grew up by the river Siuru, which used the river’s fast-flowing rapids as power for grain mills supplied by the surrounding farmland; these rapids would later become the basis for industrialisation.

Two kilometres away on the coast lay the village of Särkelä, which was a prosperous town in the early middle ages before being washed into the sea in a flood one night in October 1486, which is estimated to have claimed over 150 lives. As such, only a small amount of the town remained past this date, and its population remained relatively settled from then on.

Ruusniemi had expanded rapidly to the point where it held a large market and had a population of a few thousand people. However, in the unseasonably hot summer of 1590, the village experienced a fire, which reportedly consumed all but three buildings on the town’s edge and burnt for three days. Due to the devastation caused by the fire, two years later it was decided that the old burnt village should be merged with now relatively prosperous Särkelä to form Tapulikaupunki. The name was chosen due to the old church in Ruusniemi, whose tower was visible for may miles around.

The city’s biggest period of growth was around the time of the Industrial Revolution, when the city’s maritime location and good deepwater port. By 1820 the city had grown larger than nearby Valaoja,. For some decades in the late 19th century, Tapulikaupunki was known as the ‘Jewel of Nevanmaa’ due to the large amount of wealth concentrated in the area due to external shipping, and the grand buildings erected in the city’s centre at the time were decorated opulently, with local Kalliokoski stone being used heavily in construction. However, this contrasted with the abject poverty in which many of the dock workers lived, which served as part of the inspiration for the Red Rebellion in the early 1900s.