|This article is incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.|
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
|Motto: Juzifograd, grad koron i rusov/Юзифоград, град корон и русов|
Yuzifegrade, city of crowns and treasures
The location of Yuzifograde within Slovunia
|Founded by||Kaspjan Narasjan|
|• Mayor||Igor Gorodov (Conservatives)|
|• Obłast Jūzifŭgrad||2,065,700|
|Time zone||Standard Slovuniac (SS) (UTC(EST3+))|
|Calling Code||(+05) 20|
Yuzifograde , from Sloviac Jūzifŭgrad and Tcheyeni Revlanat (English IPA: [juːˈziːfəˌgrɑd]/ [juːˈziːfəˌgræɪ̯d]; Standard variety: [ˈjuːzifʊɡɾɑt] Local variety: [ˈjuzifɡɾät]; Tcheyeni [ˈɾɛːvlɑnɑt]) is the second biggest city in Slovunia and the capital of the province Yerenia. It has 2.5 mio. inhabitants, 504500 of which live in the central district. The city is situated in the delta of the Zherka river and has the biggest port in Slovunia.
The city was founded by the Tcheyeni People when during the era of the Tcheyeni kingdom in 128 AD as a fishing village, but it quickly grew due to its location which originally was at the point where the delta began as every boat wanting to enter the river from the sea or leave it towards the sea would need to pass Yuzifograde, which was founded as Revlant by the Tcheyeni. By the beginning of the fourth century, Revlanat had already a population of ten thousand and was the second largest city in the Tcheyeni kingdom after its capital Imperi. It continued to grow rapidly until the year 1125 when it burnt down and was abandoned. It got reinhabited by Tcheyenis who fled from the expanding Sloviac kingdom and signed an agreement with it shortly after the Tcheyeni kingdom fell and the Sloviac tsardom was founded in order to be a free city. It continued to be a free city and grew to a population of 25 thousand by 1650, when it was taken by the Sloviac state. The Sloviacs quickly made use of the city as a port for some trade eventhough the official ideology was isolationism, making the city growing to a million inhabitants by 1900, though the civily war decimated the population since the city was monarchist and surrounded by republicans who made a blockade on it and destroying a considerable percentage of the buildings in teh city's outskirts. After the war, the city got a land reform which increased the area and population drastically, but played a role in slowing down the rebuild. In the 20s, the city struggled to rebuild housing and infrastructure which led to a housing programm being introduced by Gorinin in 1931 and the growth of the city to two million by 1960, when the growth process slowed down. In the last decades, the city advanced its infrastructure and started the building of a new city centre which is partially completed.
Yuzifograde is the heart of southern Slovunia's transportation, culture, politics and economy. The city is the starting point of many train lines, has the second largest bus and tram networks in all of Slovunia and the largest trolleybus network. It is home to Slovunia's biggest seaport and therefore is from significant importance for its import and export. There are several universities, museums, theatres and operas and nine in ten institutions of the province Yerenia are situated in the city.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Geography
- 4 Administration
- 5 Economy
- 6 Infrastructure
- 7 Demographics
- 8 Culture
- 9 City- and Landscape
The original name, Revlanat (Рэвланат), comes from the Tcheyeni language and means "place of the one who is hoping/dreaming". It comes from the myth that it was discovered by two clans who came from the Tcheyeni capital Imperi in hope of finding a better life. The two clans, the Narasjanë and the Aramnanë are believed to have settled on the opposite sides of the Zherka and build fishing towns, which later grew. The Tcheyeni language still refers to Yuzifograde as Revlanat and to the two opposite parts of the historical old town as Narasjanëat (НарасянҌат) and Aramnanëat (АрамнанҌат), while their names in Sloviac are Narasjanajevo (Нарасянаєво) and Aramnajevo (Арамнаєво).
The name Yuzifograde dates back to the time when the city was taken by the Sloviac tsardom. It may be connected to the fromer tsar Juzif I who was ruling before the time or to a military general of that name though this is unknown. The city was originally just called Juzifograd, not Svjeto-Juzifograd, meaning it is unlikely that it was connected to someone holy. Why the "Svjeto-" was added is unknown, though it is believed that this happened in the mid 19th century, though it got dropped later on.
The demonym for a resident of the city is «Yuziac» (Sloviac: «juzifan»; female: «juzifa») in Sloviac which is connected to the fact that the Sloviac term for city («grad») was pronunced «goród» in the medieval dialect of the area.