World Educational and Cultural Organization

From IIWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
World Educational and Cultural Organization
Verden Uddannelsesmæssige og Kulturelle Organisation
WECO-logo.png
AbbreviationWECO, VUKO, OMEC, WBKO
MottoPromoting understanding through creative collaboration globally
FounderUffe Sorensen
Founded atVænholm
Legal statusActive
HeadquartersKulturarvbygning (the Heritage Building), Vænholm, Glanodel
Chairman
Joel Bendtsen

The World Educational and Cultural Organization (WECO) (Glanish: Verden Uddannelsesmæssige og Kulturelle Organisation) is a non-governmental organization based in Vænholm, Glanodel. Its declared purpose is "to contribute to global education and pursuit of the liberal arts by promoting international collaboration in order to increase universal respect for intellectualism, diversity, culture, and heritage."

Most Asuran nations participate in the organization and a number of non-Asuran nations also participate. Most of its field offices are "cluster" offices covering three or more countries; national and regional offices also exist.

WECO pursues its objectives through five major programs: education, natural sciences, social/human sciences, culture, and communication/information. Projects sponsored by WECO include literacy, technical, and teacher-training programs, international science programs, the promotion of independent media and freedom of the press, regional and cultural history projects, the promotion of cultural diversity, translations of world literature, international cooperation agreements to secure the world cultural and natural heritage, collectively known as World Heritage Sites, and to preserve human rights, and attempts to bridge the worldwide digital divide.

WECO's aim is "to contribute to the building of peace, the eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intercultural dialogue through education, the sciences, culture, communication and information". Other priorities of the organization include attaining quality "education for all" and "lifelong learning", addressing emerging social and ethical challenges, fostering cultural diversity, a culture of peace and building inclusive knowledge societies through information and communication.

History

Purchased by the Lhedwin Heritage Foundation in 1960 and converted into a natural and human history museum in 1962, Kulturarvbygning (the Heritage Building) is now the headquarters of the World Educational and Cultural Organization.

In 1946, the widely recognized historian and author Katharina Johansen officially established the Glanish Heritage Foundation. Enjoying popular support as a result of the prevalent national movement which had swept across Glanodel in response to newfound sovereignty after the Great War, the Foundation quickly spread across the country and after partnerships with numerous tourism organizations, the establishments of "national heritage sites" began.

By 1960, the Foundation had renamed itself to the Lhedwin Heritage Foundation and its influence could be plainly seen throughout the nations of the archipelago as internationally recognized "hertage sites" were established. Later that year, the Foundation purchased the Heritage Building and began refurbishment. By 1962, the Building became the organization's headquarters and was quickly converted into a museum.

In 1971, the Lhedwin Heritage Foundation challenged the construction of several large scale, urban development projects that would have endangered the integrity of several historical monuments in Newrey, tir Lhaeraidd, and Vrnallia. After successfully protesting and preventing the completion of most of these projects, the organization gained international recognition and renamed itself the World Educational and Cultural Organization in 1973.

With its new name, the Organization quickly spread throughout Asura and had opened offices worldwide by 2000. Since then the Organization has named hundreds of World Heritage Sites, contributed to numerous education and cultural projects, and now receives contributions from hundreds of governments around the world and private donations ranging from a few dollars to hundreds of thousands.

Structure

The WECO is led by the WECO Director-General, who directly oversees WECO's day-to-day operations as a whole from WECO Headquarters in Vænholm, Glanodel. Below the organization's headquarters are cluster offices which oversee anywhere from operations across an entire continent to operations throughout several nations. Within each cluster office are national offices which oversee a specific nation and regional bureaus, which are generally used only within geographically large nations. Local offices, or liaison offices, are another office used mostly when several operations or heritage sites are located relatively close together and also provide legal and educational services to local communities.

Governing body

Many of the actions taken by the World Educational and Cultural Organization are proposed by representatives from member states' governments or the directors of local offices. Proposals are then voted on by the General Conference which is the organization's primary governing body and is composed of the directors of each of the national offices. Everything from research grants, cultural and educational projects, the founding of new branches/offices, and the official recognition of new Heritage Sites are all presented to the General Conference for approval at each of the Conference's quarterly meetings (January, April, July, October).

WECO day-to-day operations are administered and supervised by the Director-General who is elected by the General Conference two-year terms. The Director-General does not have the authority to enact new policies, approve new Heritage Sites, or grant funding, they may only execute the decisions made by the General Conference.

Director-Generals of WECO
Name Years of Tenure
Glanodel Marie Lauritzen 1974 - 1976
Glanodel Silas Lund 1976 - 1980
Glanodel Vera Magnussen 1980 - 1982
Midrasia Luix Capet 1982 - 1984
Newrey Wilfred Steinbeck 1984 - 1986
Mascylla Philipp Fenstke 1986 - 1988
Glanodel Kai Koch 1988 - 1990
Mascylla Stephan Trahnig 1990 - 1992
Navack Anny Davidsen 1992 - 1994
Newrey Robert Williams 1994 - 1996
Aquidneck Auberto Di Marco 1996 - 1998
Carcossica Marina Jisdoke 1998 - 2000
Glanodel Sigfred Boesen 2000 - 2002
Aquidneck Clara Malnati 2002 - 2004
Midrasia Manuel Pegrant 2004 - 2006
Navack Dennis Conradi 2006 - 2008
Aquidneck Mercede Bava 2008 - 2010
Glanodel Loke Andersen 2010 - 2012
Midrasia Marcel Passereau 2012 - 2014
Carcossica Stephane Gesersh 2014 - 2016
Newrey Arthur Hibbered 2016 - 2018
Crylante Anna de Ouserad 2018 - Present

Offices

WECO headquarters are located at Kulturarvbygning (the Heritage Building) in Vænholm, Glanodel. WECO's field offices across the globe are categorized into four primary office types based upon their function and geographic coverage: cluster offices, national offices, regional bureaus and liaison offices.

Field offices by region

The following list of all WECO Field Offices is organized geographically and identifies the members states and associate members which are served by each office.

Arabekh

  • WECO Arabekh Headquarters (Jisthavefan Office) – Office for the Arabekh Continental Region, as well as the location of facilities pertaining to the North Opal Ocean region. Regional Director: Dr. Kaatja M. Rine.

Asura

  • WECO Headquarters (Vænholm Office) – Headquarters of WECO
  • WECO Asura Mainland Offices (Cyningburgh Office) – Regional offices of WECO for the Asuran mainland

Catai

  • LOCATION NAME HERE (i.e. city name) – National Office to Country/Cluster Office to country, country, and country/Regional Bureau for city, city, and city in city, country/Liaison Office for specific project or heritage site in city, country

Frigidarum

  • LOCATION NAME HERE (i.e. city name) – National Office to Country/Cluster Office to country, country, and country/Regional Bureau for city, city, and city in city, country/Liaison Office for specific project or heritage site in city, country

Yidao

  • WECO Yidao Headquarters (Kulana Office) - Office for the Savai Islands and Yidao Continental Region, as well as the location of facilities pertaining to the Southern Jade Ocean region. Regional Director: Dr. Pauahi Pākī

Majula

  • LOCATION NAME HERE (i.e. city name) – National Office to Country/Cluster Office to country, country, and country/Regional Bureau for city, city, and city in city, country/Liaison Office for specific project or heritage site in city, country

Rennekka

  • LOCATION NAME HERE (i.e. city name) – National Office to Country/Cluster Office to country, country, and country/Regional Bureau for city, city, and city in city, country/Liaison Office for specific project or heritage site in city, country

Vestrim

  • LOCATION NAME HERE (i.e. city name) – National Office to Country/Cluster Office to country, country, and country/Regional Bureau for city, city, and city in city, country/Liaison Office for specific project or heritage site in city, country

Member states

WECO counts 12 member states, but no associate members, yet. Some members are not independent states and some members have additional National Organizing Committees from some of their dependent territories. The current member states of WECO are: Ajerrin, Aleia, Aquidneck, Carcossica, Crylante, Glanodel, Mascylla, Midrasia, Navack, Newrey, Songdang, tir Lhaeraidd, and Vrnallia.

World Heritage Sites

Site Image Location Criteria Area Year Description
Frihedsstatuen
(Statue of Liberty)
Glanodel-Statue of Liberty.jpg Vænholm, Sørland, Glanodel Frihedsstatuen was the first state-funded cultural project in Glanodel after the Great War and is closely associated with Glanish cultural traditions of liberalism. 14 acres (56,656 m2) Construction began in 1915 and was completed in 1918. Formal dedication ceremony held in November of 1918. Frihedsstatuen, or the Statue of Liberty, was dedicated as part of the fourth Glanish Presidential Inauguration ceremony. Today, it is perhaps the most widely recognizable Glanish national symbol and is most commonly associated with the ideologies of liberalism, equal protection under the law, and liberation from tyranny.
The Lentini Stone Constructions Collage of Lentini Stone Monuments JPEG.jpg Lentini, Crylante The Lentini Stone Constructions are one of the first known, large scale construction projects in human history. Encompassing much of rural Lentini Island, the site consists of large aligned rows of standing stones, prehistoric burial chambers, ancient villages, and an ominous monolith overlooking the island's coast. 12,355 acres (50 km2) It is thought that most of the monuments were built between 1000BCE and 850BCE. It consists of five main sites scattered around rural Lentini Island, the Termeno Alignments (lines of standing stones), the Rovella and Magatsini Burial Chambers, Bergell Ancient Village and the Storring Man, which are located scattered across Southern Lentini Island. Today they are a major tourist destination for Crylantians and non-Crylantians alike, generating the Republic of Lentini Island 10% of its GDP in 2016.
Helleristninger af Hafrhell Glanodel-cave drawings.jpg Sørland-Østbjorth border to Ellesø, Glanodel Some of the oldest known petroglyphs on the Lhedwinic Isles, dating back to the 9th millennia BCE. 230 km2 (134 sq.mi) It is thought that most of the carvings were made around the beginning of 8000BCE. As the oldest known petroglyphs Glanodel and one of the oldest in Lhedwin, the carvings are located along the walls of Hafrhell, a system of underground caverns extending from the coast of the Sørland-Østbjorth border to Ellesø, Særland. They provide unique insight into the origins of the Lhedwin culture.
Runesten Ögri Glanodel-runstone3.jpg Vænholm, Glanodel One of Glanodel's oldest runestones erected in honor of King Ögri, the first King of Glanodel, in 973. 5 acres (20,234 m2) The runestone is dated as being erected in the Spring of 973 and initial carving is believed to have started in 972. Runestones were among the first forms of record keeping in Glanodel and the Runesten Ögri holds a detailed account of the life of the first Glanish King and the Annarrauthmál.
University of Mydroll UniMydroll.png Mydroll, Midrasia The University of Mydroll is the oldest university in Aeia established in 1064. 85.57 acres (346,275 m2) The first buildings at the university were completed in 1064. The majority of the 'old seven' colleges were constructed between 1250-1634. The University of Mydroll is the oldest university in the world and one of the most prestigious, with construction beginning in 1064. The site covers thirty colleges across the city with around 20,000 students and 1,700 academic staff.
St. Alydian's Cathedral of Norlynn Norlynn-Cathedral.jpg Norlynn, Newrey St. Alydian's Cathedral of Norlynn 46,000 sq.ft (4,273 m2) The cathedral, in its current form, was completed in 1083 The St. Alydian's Cathedral of Norlynn is one of the oldest buildings of the Alydian faith, and the first cathedral built in Newrey. It also hosts the coronation of every Monarch of Newrey
Parliament of the Witenagemot Witenagemot-building.jpg Cyningburgh, Newrey Houses the Witenagemot of Newrey Dunno The main building was completed in 1783 The Witenagemot building hosts the Witenagemot of Newrey and remains one of the few gothic revival buildings in Cyningburgh.
Hagamnova Temple Complex Ukamnovo.jpg Dvrieska, Vrnallia The oldest extant building in Vrnallia, believed to have been used for religious purposes in prehistoric times. 0.43 acres (1,744 m2) Between roughly 2000BCE and 500BCE A prehistoric complex believed to have been used for ritual purposes when Vrnallia was first settled. The facility is built from limestone and the Vrnallian name simply means "Red Brick Temple". Radiocarbon dating suggests that the temple is between three and four thousand years old, though this is disputed and the temple may be two and a half thousand years old at most.
Palazzo Orneta Spain Andalusia Seville BW 2015-10-23 15-35-15.jpg Torden, Aquidneck Seat of the Aquidish Senate. 9.5 acres (30,351 m2) Palazzo Orneta was constructed in 1225 Palazzo Orneta was first constructed in 1225 for then King Davide I. Upon his death King Livino III gifted the palace, which he despised, to the Senate which had been created 2 years prior. Palazzo Orneta has become the seat of government providing a home for the Prime Minister, the Senate, the Speaker of the Senate, and the various other governmental offices.
Miekat Förbundet Fb9830a9d3724b4250ab7e5a1e7dc692.jpg Ivgard, Navack Monument for Navackian unification 17 m2 (182,986 sq.ft) The bronze swords were made in 872 The swords symbolize the union of the three great kingdoms of Navack after the Trinity War. After years of conflict the thre last great kingdoms sealed the unification on the top of the Vaker Hill, a few miles from Ivgard, on the Great Svartvann River
Garden of Almiaro Opera House and ferry. Sydney.jpg Almiaro, Midrasia Exposition centre, art gallery and orchestral hall 4.4 acres (17,806 m2) The construction was completed in 1972 Initially a controversial construction due to its post-modernist architectural style, the Garden of Almiaro has since come to embody the post-modern movement, inspiring a whole host of new architectural styles and buildings. The Garden is now a renowned and respected cultural site within Midrasia.
Palazzo Sandora Palacio Real, Madrid, España, 2014-12-27, DD 15-17 PAN.JPG Torden, Aquidneck Home of the King of Aquidneck 5 acres (20,234 m2) Completed in 1763 Completed during the reign of King Renato I the Great, Palazzo Sandora has been the main home to the Kings of Aquidneck and their families ever since. Located in the Orenta District of Torden the palace shows off Aquidish architecture of the mid-1700s.
Kawanakan Heritage Museum Bishop museum oahu hawaii.jpeg Royal Grounds, Federal Territory of Maka, Ajerrin The Kawanakan Heritage Museum is a museum of history and science located in the Historic Royal Grounds of Maka on the Ajerrin island of Lahu'i. 16 acres (64,749 m2) Museum Founded in 1875 Founded in 1875, it is the largest museum in Ajerrin and has the world's largest collection of Kawanakan cultural artifacts and natural history specimens. Besides the comprehensive exhibits of Kawanakaa, the museum's total holding of natural history specimens exceeds 24 million, of which the entomological collection alone represents more than 13.5 million specimens.
Ajerrin Marine Preserve C1SK4.jpg Federal Marine Preserve of Akua Ka Hale, Ajerrin Deep-sea coral reefs and other marine ecosystems are among “the most vulnerable” to the effects of a growing population and climate change on Aeia. 88,000 mi2 Marine Preserve Law, 2017 The areas contain “significant objects of scientific interest that are part of this highly pristine deep sea and open ocean ecosystem with unique biodiversity,” according to Federation Protected Marine Reserve Law All commercial extraction activities, including fishing and future deep-sea mining, are prohibited in the monument area.
Remsting Valley Þingvellir from the information centre.JPG Sønderburg, Crylante Remsting Valley was the meeting site of the Remsting, the historical law court of the Duchy of Sønderburg, where senior warriors and Trúathist priests (Freyjasthralls) would gather. 4 mi2 The field was first used in the early 9th century. The practices of the Duchy of Sønderburg have been influential to the nature of democracy and the rule of law in the modern day, and are seen as a key influence on modern Crylantian democracy.
Hochkronstein Palace Hochkronstein.jpg Königsreh, Kronlande, Mascylla Ancestral seat of the residing Monarch of Mascylla 15,239 m2 The castle was finished in its current form in 1302. The Hochkronstein Palace is one of the oldest still used castles in Mascylla, its earliest foundation dating back to 1255. Most of its original components and structure remained over time, while it served as the ancestral seat of the monarch of Cheld and later the Mascyllary dynasty for five centuries. Built in the style of late Middle Ages' Gothic period and erected in one of the most expensive constructions at that time, it posesses a number of extensive defense installations, multiple towers, a throne room, and various other unique features for a Mascyllary castle.