West Asuran Concordat
Logo of the WACO
|Abbreviation||WACO, OACS, WV, VSO, POVÆ|
|Founder||Tern Bedwyr XV, King Alphonse II (KSL)|
|Founded at||Aurharbwr, tir Lhaeraidd|
|Headquarters||Canmyr-Weidhal, Free Town of Canmyr-Weidhal|
Chief Delegate (Arzoa)
Chief Delegate (tir Lhaeraidd)
Chief Delegate (Crylante)
|Karolina de Palma|
In 1984 Teyrn Bedwyr XV of tir Lhaeraidd proposed that a summit be held in the key Lhaeraidh trading hub of Aurharbwr to streamline all existing treaties and agreements between the two nations into a single document. With much fanfare the summit was held on the 21st January 1985 and lasted for five days during which every aspect of Arzoa and tir Lhaeridd's bilateral relations were studied and discussed. At the conclusion of the summit the West Asuran Concordat was proposed to replace the complex web of treaties. Under the Concordat a new body called the West Asuran Concordat Organisation (WACO) was created to manage all diplomatic talks and agreements between the two nations on a bilateral basis. WACO was set up in the border towns of Canmyr and Weidhal which had grown up right next to one another along the border; with the establishment of WACO the towns were merged to form the Free Town of Canmyr-Weidhal which over time would evolve into a key financial, trading, and diplomatic centre.
The Concordat was officially signed by King Alphonse II of Arzoa and Teyrn Bedwyr XV of tir Lhaeraidd on the 5th February 1985 and by November 1985 WACO was well established in Canmyr-Weidhal. As of 1st May 1986 every major diplomatic summit between the two nations has been held at the WACO headquarters in the town centre and in 1999 the Town Council was given a grant of an additional five square miles by both Arzoa and tir Lhaeraidd into which it could expand. As of 2006 Canmyr-Weidhal occupies an internationally recognised position as an open city for trade under the joint sovereignty of both Arzoa and tir Lhaeraidd.
In 2005 the government of Crylante, which had long standing treaties and positive relations with both Arzoa and tir Lhaeraidd, approached the two WACO members regarding the possibility of joining, and from May 2005 until November 2006 a series of negotiations took place which ultimately resulted in the acceptance of Crylante as a member state of the WAC.
Chairmen of WACO
|Name||Years of Tenure|
|Syr Tyban Gwhent||2000-2005|
|Syr Tyban Gwhent||2010-2015|
Summary of the Treaty
The West Asuran Concordat's formal summary is given in the overview of the written document itself, and on the Canmyr-Weidhal Town Council's website and includes a number of key features of foreign policy. The agreement covers almost all areas of Arzoa, Crylante, and tir Lhaeraidd's mutual relations and as such covers military, diplomatic, political, legal, and economic matters, making it one of the most comprehensive bilateral treaties in the world. WACO is permitted to monitor the treaty and recommend alterations, and delegations from both signatories come to the Free Town every twelve months to discuss proposed changes to the treaty and matters of mutual concern.
The summarised points of the military agreement between Arzoa, Crylante, and tir Lhaeraidd are as follows:
- A full Non-Aggression Pact, including direct military activity as well as economic and covert attacks.
- A full Intelligence Disclosure Agreement, whereby intelligence data is freely shared upon request.
- A Mutual Neutrality Pact, whereby both parties agree to recognise the other's neutrality.
- A conditional Mutual Defence Treaty, whereby both parties agree to come to the defence of the other, provided that they have maintained the conditions of military neutrality.
The summarised points of the legal agreement between Arzoa, Crylante, and tir Lhaeraidd are as follows:
- A Mutual Recognition Agreement, whereby both parties recognise the legitimacy of their other's justice system and jurisdiction within its own territory, and respects the validity of their judicial rulings and sentences.
- An Extradition Treaty, whereby both parties agree to extradite convicted criminals, criminal suspects, and exchange citizens convicted of a crime in the other's jurisdiction.
- A Joint Court of Appeal as part of WACO, whereby a citizen of one country tried in the other may appeal their sentence before a Joint Court of Appeal based in Canmyr-Weidhal.
The summarised points of the economic agreement between Arzoa, Crylante, and tir Lhaeraidd are as follows:
- An Open Trade Agreement, whereby both parties are able to openly and freely trade with the others and make use of their ports without the need for documentation.
- An Open Borders Agreement, whereby citizens may travel freely across the border without needing to stop and show identification.
- A Free Trade Agreement, whereby a free trading area exists between the two nations.
- An Educational Exchange Agreement, whereby students from either country may freely study in the other.
- A Single Market Agreement, whereby both nations agree to trade without restrictions or tariffs.