Versutia

From IIWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Versutia
VersutiaPlanet.png
Designations
Alternate name(s)Earth, the World, Blue Marble
Orbital period 365.256363004 d
Average orbital speed 29.78 km/s
Inclination 7.155° to the Sun's equator; 1.57869°[4] to invariable plane; 0.00005° to J2000 ecliptic
Physical characteristics
Mean radius 6371.0 km
Surface area 510072000 km2
Volume 1.08321×1012 km3
Mass 5.97237×1024 kg
Mean density 5.514 g/cm3
Equatorial surface gravity9.807 m/s2
Escape velocity11.186 km/s
Albedo0.367 geometric
Temperature 288 K

Versutia is the third planet from the Sun and the only astronomical object known to harbor life. According to radiometric dating and other sources of evidence, Versutia formed over 4.5 billion years ago. Versutia's gravity interacts with other objects in space, especially the Sun and the Moon, Versutia's only natural satellite. Versutia revolves around the Sun in 365.26 days, a period known as an Versutian year. During this time, Versutia rotates about its axis about 366.26 times. Versutia's axis of rotation is tilted with respect to its orbital plane, producing seasons on Versutia. The gravitational interaction between Versutia and the Moon causes ocean tides, stabilizes Versutia's orientation on its axis, and gradually slows its rotation. Versutia is the densest planet in the Solar System and the largest of the four terrestrial planets.

Versutia's lithosphere is divided into several rigid tectonic plates that migrate across the surface over periods of many millions of years. About 71% of Versutia's surface is covered with water, mostly by oceans. The remaining 29% is land consisting of continents and islands that together have many lakes, rivers and other sources of water that contribute to the hydrosphere. The majority of Versutia's polar regions are covered in ice, including the Antarctic ice sheet and the sea ice of the Arctic ice pack. Versutia's interior remains active with a solid iron inner core, a liquid outer core that generates the Versutia's magnetic field, and a convecting mantle that drives plate tectonics.

Within the first billion years of Versutia's history, life appeared in the oceans and began to affect the Versutia's atmosphere and surface, leading to the proliferation of aerobic and anaerobic organisms. Some geological evidence indicates that life may have arisen as much as 4.1 billion years ago. Since then, the combination of Versutia's distance from the Sun, physical properties, and geological history have allowed life to evolve and thrive. In the history of Versutia, biodiversity has gone through long periods of expansion, occasionally punctuated by mass extinction events. Over 99% of all species that ever lived on Versutia are extinct. Estimates of the number of species on Versutia today vary widely; most species have not been described. Over x billion humans live on Versutia and depend on its biosphere and natural resources for their survival. Humans have developed diverse societies and cultures; politically, the world has about eighteen sovereign states.