|Tc-50 Series "Lion"|
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
A Tc-50 mod. G
|Type||Main Battle Tank|
|Place of origin|| |
Error creating thumbnail: File missingGrozav Inima
|Used by||see users|
|Designed|| 1957 (Tc-50 mod. A) |
1964 (Tc-50 mod. E)
1974 (Tc-50 mod. G)
|Unit cost||$2 million NSD|
|Produced||1976 (Tc-50 mod. G)|
|Number built||3,780 (Tc-50 mod. G)|
|Specifications (Main Battle Tank)|
|Length||9.94 metres (Total)|
|Armor||200 mm composite armor, Classified built on ERA and soft-kill and hard-kill anti-missile defense systems.|
|ArG12 100 mm smoothbore gun with ATGM capability|
| 1 × 14.5 mm Pulemat M41 heavy machine gun with 800 rounds
1 × 7.92 mm M44 machine guns with 10,400 rounds (coaxial)
|Engine|| Turbo Charged Direct Injection Diesel Engine|
|Payload capacity||x50 main gun rounds, x8 ATGM rounds|
|Suspension||Torsion bar with eight telescopic hydro-gas shock absorbers|
The Tc-50 Lion is a series of main battle tank in service with the Grozav Iniman Ground Forces. Designed and manufactured by Géppuska Autoworks, it is currently in the process of being replaced by the Tc-69 Jaguar. It was the first main battle tank to be locally produced in The Rodina, and it's variants served from 1957 to the present day. The Lion, like all Rodinan tanks is optimized for fast-paced manoeuvre warfare, and specialises in ambush tactics and the standard Rodinan Military Doctrine of Greupunct. It was originally hoped to be a powerful locally built weapons platform that could work reliably for a long amount of time.
The Tc-50 Lion was first conceived as the VG503.1, and was intended to be an inexpensive, effective tank that the Legion could use in a new era of warfare and $30 million was given to Géppuska Autoworks for the venture. In 1955 a $16.5 million prototype vehicle was presented to the Military Enclave after three years of development. The earliest prototype was an overall effective design, and it represented a revolutionary leap in tank design as opposed to attempting to maintain the outdated Tc-26-92 in a combat ready position. The final prototype was completed in 1957, with all issues found in testing addressed, and the same years an initial order of 1000 tanks was placed, worth over $500 million, with expectations to have all the units built within ten years.
The Tc-26 series was beginning to get very outdated, despite projects to renew it's combat effectiveness by modifying the design to add more powerful weaponry, better engines, increased protection and better optics. The GW2 era Tc-26 was replaced with the UTc-29-92 in 1951, and the Rodina commanders began to search for a new alternative to the geriatric tank.
T-50c mod. A
The first prototype of the VG503.1 was called the Tc-50 mod. A, a unit cost $500 thousand each, the model was named the Tc-50 mod. A and fired a 92x584mm round capable of firing High-Explosive-Anti-Tank (HEAT), High-Explosive (HE) and Armour-Piercing-Composite-Rigid (APCR) rounds. The mod. A entered service almost immediately, and during various border skirmishes with Ordia, the Tc-50 performed well against the Ordian Centurion tanks, but glaring issues were found with the tank, particularly it's firepower was found to be lacking compared to the Centurions 105mm gun.
Tc-50 mod. E
After being granted an additional $30 million to improve the T-50 Lion in 1967, Géppuska Autoworks presented another prototype of the Tc-50, most importantly, replacing the insufficient 92mm gun with an ArG12 100mm main gun, which was found to be able to penetrate the Ordian Centurion's frontal armour at any range. The armour was also upgraded, and the VOAT-3 optics were swapped out for the far more effective VertOpp Assisted Targeting Pattern 8 system, which would increase the tanks accuracy, and added stabilized fire whilst moving. Although the Tc-50 had undergone four other slight upgrades in the period between it's introduction and the introduciton of the Tc-50, the mod. E was the first major enhancement.
Tc-50 mod. G
The mod. G of the Tc-50 began in 1975, when the Enclave gave another grant of $20 million to Géppuska Autoworks to overhaul the tank and bring it into the Second Generation. Analysts prefer to categorize the tank as a generation 2.5, but most agree that it is more at home in the second generation than the third. The mod. G primarily added new systems the other models did not have, most importantly, ATGM missile capability, reactive armour and a turbo charged engine. Most of the upgrades to this model were able to be applied directly to the previos models, and the last retrofits took place in 1981, but the tank was short lived, and retired from service in 1983 when the military replaced it with the Tc-36 Caracal.
The various models of the Tc-50 series have taken part in many conflicts, most commonly border conflicts with Ordia and Dhechnia.
- Tc-50 mod. A – The earliest model, with a 92mm ArG3 main gun, the T-50-92 served as the primary tank of the Imperial Legion from 1957 to 1961
- Tc-50 mod. B - A series of minor changes to the Tc-50, including adding night-warfare infrared targeting.
- Tc-50 mod. C - Added spaced armour on the turret.
- Tc-50 mod. D - Added superior fire control
- T-50 mod. E – Replaced underpowered 92mm gun with a 100mm gun, in addition to various upgrades, which replaced the old engine, and further upgraded the fire control.
- T-50 mod. F - Added primitive ATGM firing capability
- T-50 mod. G - Added ATGM firing capability, Reactive armour, and a turbo charged engine.
- Error creating thumbnail: File missingGrozav Inima