Nautasian Freedom Defence Front
|Nautasian Freedom Defence Front|
جبهة الدفاع عن الحرية
Emblem of the Nautasian Freedom Defence Front
|Dates of operation||
January 2017-12 May 2017 (as Irvadi Freedom Defence Front)|
12 May 2017-present (as Nautasian Freedom Defence Front)
Maj. Gen Eskandar Esfandiari|
Lt. Col Khalid Ali Haydari
Withdrawal of foreign forces from Nautasia|
Overthrow of the Ahmed Hussein regime in Kraq
Overthrow of the Rifati democratic government
Establishment of a single Islamic Collectivist Nautasian superstate.
Abolish Segregationism in South Nautasia
|Major actions||Numerous suicide bombings, Crimes against life and health, attacks against civilians, assassinations, hostage taking,|
|Notable attacks||Mount Qaboun Hotel bombing, Tal Athbah bombing, 2017 General People's Senate bombing|
|Status||As of May 2017 active and growing|
|Means of revenue||Kraqi Freedom Forum, Fellowship of Pan-Nautasia, Nautasian Liberation Fund|
The Nautasian Freedom Defence Front or Freedom Defence Front (Arabic: جبهة الدفاع عن الحرية Jabhat al Difae an al-Hurria; NFDF, FDF, JDH), also known as the Black Hand (يد سوداء, Ed Sawda) is a front comprising some 23 militia groups - mostly Shia and Islamic Collectivist but also but there are Sunni Muslim, Christian, and Yazidi individuals as well. Its members are drawn from across Nautasia, including Ankoren, Irvadistan, Kraq and small numbers of Rifatis.
Formed in January 2017 originally as a solely Irvadi domestic group that aimed to overthrow the Kamel regime, following the 2017 Irvadi coup d'état and the regimes overthrow by pro-Ankoren military officers, the Front was officially recognised as a "popular militia" by the Provisional Irvadi Government in May 2017. Following its recognition, the Front replaced the Supreme Command for Jihad and Unification as the umbrella front for the 23 plus militias that fought alongside the Ankoreni forces during Operation Undeniable Victory. As a result, the Front's membership skyrocketed from an estimated 1,200 to between 41,000 to 55,000. The Front has begun to receive training and new weapons from both the Irvadi and Ankoreni armed forces.
- Nautasian Nationalist Guard
- Popular Mobilisation of the Oppressed
- United Army for the Liberation of Kraq
- Rifati Popular Revolutionary Force
- Imam Hussein Brigades
- Imam Ali Brigades
- Righteous Liberation and Unification
- Heavenly Brigade
- Irvadi Islamic Unification Front
- Nautasian Islamic Unification Army
- Nurcan Taylan Brigades
- United Islamic Front
- Homeland Defence Force
- Promised Day Brigades
- Tanabian Resistance Division
- South Nautasian Army of Resistance & Defense
Motives and objectives
In the online video posted on May 12 2017, the Front announced three new objectives that remain built around "three swords" (hence the use of the triangle in the group's emblem):
- Removal of all foreign forces from Nautasia; also includes the destruction of the Caliphate in Kraq.
- Overthrow of the governments of Kraq, Rifat, Siphria and East Nautarya.
- Establishment of an Islamic Collectivist superstate across Nautasia.
The group was swift to repeat the strategy it had developed for Irvadistan before the coup that removed Kamel's government. They aim to focus all efforts on Kraq in response to Aininian and Luziycan involvements set to be increased. They would take advantage of the mass discontentment towards the Hussein regime, citing corruption, sectarianism, abuses, massacres and the continued civil war and repeat the claims that they made of Kamel, insofar that Hussein has surrendered the country to the Aininians and Luziycans for his own personal survival.
Combat and terrorism
List of NFDF attributed terrorist attacks:
- Mount Qaboun Hotel Bombing: On April 5 2017, the Front conducted a suicide truck bombing on the Mount Qaboun Paradise Hotel in Qush Tepa; the hotel was a popular residence for Irvadi regime officials following the evacuation of Qufeira in 2015 in light of rapid Caliphate advances towards the city. The bombing killed 77 people, including 14 foreign nationals, of which seven were Koy. However the 63 remaining fatalities were Irvadi, including two members of the National Council for Salvation and at least 20 senior civil servants.
- 2017 Athbah Bombing: On April 8 2017, the Front conducted a car bombing of a popular cafe in the affluent suburb of Athbah in northern Qush Tepa. The bombing killed 17 people, including Finance Minister Walid Sadiqqi and close ally of Amin Kamel and businessman, Mohammad Ali Aziz and injuring 50 others. The killing of Finance Minister Sadiqqi remains the most high profile assassination in Irvadi history.
- 2017 General People's Senate bombing: On the 3 July 2017, a former Rifati Army soldier, Saddam Boulala using a explosive laden fuel truck, rammed into the lobby of the Rifati General People's Senate detonating the explosives. The bombing killed 85 people and injured 345 others, it is widely reported that the target was the Rifati executive, in order to destabilise the country. The bombing killed 28 members of Rifat's legislature, as well as numerous by-standers and several prominent reporters. The bombing deepened tensions in the Nabaghasset region.