|Known for||2016 presidential candidate|
|Political movement||Andamonians for a Traditional Tomorrow|
|Criminal charge||Hate speech|
3 years in prison|
2 years community service
Maliyaia Rihasanai is an Andamonian politician and former presidential candidate. Founder of Andamonians for a Traditional Tomorrow, she was convicted in 2017 for remarks, later deemed to have been hate speech, made during her presidential campaign.
Rihasanai's presidential campaign was initially relatively minor, netting her less than 0.5% of the national vote in late October. Her platform targetted women at home, encouraging them to preserve Andamonian traditions and to support the national economy with domestic industries. This changed relatively abruptly to an anti-immigrant stance which earned her animosity from most minority groups in Andamonia, though her polling soared to 9%. Verbal attacks made against Heidish Christians saw her broadly condemned by leaders of the Andamonian state religion of which she is a member. Days before the election, remarks she made to the National Committee on Toleration and Equality regarding members of Kylarnatia's Silvier Sacerdotium were characterised as "abusive and irrational" as she described the religion as "devil worship." These episodes saw her projected share of first preference votes plummet to 4%. She was eliminated after the twenty-fifth round of ballot-counting.
Hate speech trial
Rihasanai's remarks made during the campaign remained a hot topic in Andamonian politics after the election, as President Azanj Timaloc and his officials failed to formally apologise despie pressure from the Silvier Sacerdotium and within Andamonia. She was tried in June 2017 and found guilty of hate speech, for which she received a sentence of three years in prison to be followed by two years of community service. Timaloc subsequently issued an apology described as "long overdue."
- "Andamonia 2016: Presidential Election: The field: meet the candidates", Zadé Crier, 23 December 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Timaloc: "Religion and politics cannot go together"", Zadé Crier, 23 December 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Whitehall, Josie, "Andamonian Presidential ELection 2016: "Rihasanai's comments are not the first, and are unlikely to be the last." - Archpriest Philopus", Kylarnatian Imperial News International, 18 December 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "President of the Third Republic — Azanj Timaloc", Zadé Crier. 13 January 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Curia of the Silvier Sacerdotium [SilCuria]: Still no assurances from the Andamonian Foreign Ministry on the safety of our adherents following recent tensions during the Election. President-Elect Timaloc has also made no comment on the matter. The Curia has submitted a secondary request for an answer. #Andamonia2016, Twitter (Tweet), 1 February 2017.
- Cevrazu/24 Newsweb [Cevrazu24]: Pres candidate Rihasanai convicted of hate crimes vs Kylarnatian religion. Accompanying Timaloc apology "long overdue". More @ cev.ha/90j17d, Twitter (Tweet), 30 June 2017.
- Petlaxli, Temalha, "Rihasanai convicted for hate speech » Presidential candidate's "incendiary" remarks inflamed Kylarnatian community", Cevrazu/24, 30 June 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.