Symbol of the Alliance
|Motto||"Securing Aeia Together."|
|Formation||20 May 1923|
Presidency of the Council
The Drago Entente is the military alliance part of the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations that seeks to secure its members from the many threats that face the Commonwealth and Aeia. The Entente is governed by the Cyningburgh Pact. The Cyningburgh Pact, or more simply The Pact, has most of the original treaty's provisions as well as some new ones and outlines the duties and responsibilities member states have to each other and the Drago Entente.
History of the Entente
Following the political and economic fallout that struck Asura at the beginning of the Twentieth Century following the Great War, a movement to form a new political and military bloc to prevent the outbreak of a similar total war began to gain traction. In 1923 the Cyningburgh Pact was signed between the Kingdoms of Aquidneck and Newrey, creating a permanent alliance against the two nations. Whilst the alliance was initially aimed at curbing Midrasian influence on the continent, its attention soon turned towards the growing influence of both tir Lhaeraidd and the Aeian Socialist Union. Over time the organisation began to attract new members from across the continent such as Carcossica and Chalcia. The alliance would ultimately be dragged into war with the Aeian Socialist Union in 1927 however, along with Midrasia and West Miersa.
Following the conclusion of war with the ASU, and the beginning of the Red Scare and decolonisation movement, a number of Asuran nations began to turn to the organisation, now rebranded as the Drago Entente for support. Cuirpthe would be drawn into the block following the conclusion of its civil war, whilst Midrasia would open a co-operation agreement with the group in 1945. Additionally, with the development of the Midrasian nuclear program, the entirety of the Entente came under the protection of the Lotrič Declaration, providing a nuclear deterrent to nations seeking to make war with democratic Asura.
Other efforts to disincentive war between Asuran states also took place throughout the 1950s, with the development of the Asuran Coal and Steel Union in 1957, this would later develop into the Asuran Economic Community in 1972 with the integration of other organisations such as ASURATOM and the development of a common market. The economic benefits of this agreement drew in a number of new states seeking to benefit from the favourable economic ties, with the Arzvan Republic, Glanodel, Midrasia, Navack and Vrnallia all joining in subsequent years.
Due to an overlap in membership and similar goals and objectives between both the Economic Community and Drago Entente, negotiations opened to merge the two organizations together. Although a long and arduous process which faced considerable opposition in a number of states, an agreement was finally hashed out in November 1998 in the city of Berghelling. The new organisation would merge both the Drago Entente and Asuran Economic Community, whilst also expanding its remit beyond Asura and creating a supranational parliament and supreme court capable of drafting and enforcing legislation on economic and social matters. In September 2000, the Treaty of Berghelling was ratified by all existing members of both the Entente and Economic Community, giving rise to the Commonwealth of Democratic Nations.
The mission of the Drago Entente was decided at the first Drago Entente Summit in Kunta, Onza. It is as follows: The Drago Entente seeks to promote a secure and stable Aeia for all nations to prosper peacefully by securing international trade routes, promoting and upholding fairness in international law, and maintaining the defense and security of member states.
Summary of the Pact
Article I of the Pact is in regards to military co-operation among members of the Drago Entente. It is broken down into the following sections:
- Section I is a full Non-Aggression Pact, including direct military activity as well as economic and covert attacks.
- Section II is an agreement of all member states to defend each other should one be attacked and should the attacked member state ask for assistance.
- Section III is the formalization of the Green Ocean Anti-Piracy Task Force as a force of the Drago Entente and an affirmation of the member states commitment to the task force and to broader safety and security of international shipping lanes.
- Section IV names DA-MP Arms as an official provider of military equipment to the member states of the Entente. Official Provider designation confers special tax and customs status to the company and the products it makes. This section also allows for additional companies to be designated official providers to the Entente.
- Section V mandates that a military attaché from each member state to be permanently in every other member state's Ministry of Defense or equivalent.
- Section VI is an intelligence sharing agreement that calls on member states to provide relevant foreign intelligence to each other in a timely manner. This section also prevents member states from spying on each other.
- Section VII mandates that 1.5% of each member state's GDP be spent on defense.
- Section VIII creates the Drago Entente Cyber Warfare Division. The Division would be overseen by a commander appointed by the Entente Council and would be responsible for developing cyber security tactics and creating a unified cyber security and warfare policy.
Article II of the Pact is about the Drago Entente and what member states must do to be a part of the alliance. It is broken down into the following sections:
- Section I creates the Drago Entente Council (DEC) mandates that each member state shall have 1 vote on the DEC. Meetings of DEC will take place weekly and can be at the Permanent Representative (Permrep) level, the Ministerial level, or the Head of Government level.
- Section II mandates that the DEC shall elect a Secretary-General to serve as chief administrator of the Drago Entente.
- Section III mandates the creation of the Military Committee and charges the Military Committee with advising DEC on military policy and strategy. The Military Committee will be made up on 1 senior officer from each member state's armed forces. A chairperson shall be elected from among the members and shall be known as the Supreme Commander.
- Section IV establishes the city of Perino in the Kingdom of Aquidneck as the headquarters of the Drago Entente. This section also mandates that member states create embassies to the Entente in the city.
- Section V allows for any member state to call for an emergency meeting of the Drago Entente Council.
- Section VI allows for the DEC to elect a Commander to oversee a Entente operation. Commanders will report directly to the Military Committee and the Supreme Commander.
- Section VII allows for new members to be join the Entente provided they recieve a majority vote of the DEC and become a signatory of the Cyningburgh Pact.
- Section VIII lays out the process for suspending a member state. The process requires that a member state must sponsor the suspension and lay out the argument for suspension. It then requires a majority vote of the rest of the member states barring the sponsor and the state nominated for suspension. A suspension can be reversed with a majority vote of the Council.
- Section IX lays out the process of removing a member state. The process requires a sponsor to lay out the argument for removing a member and a majority vote by all members. If a member state is removed, the state may reapply for membership if the issues for removal were sufficiently addressed and with a ⅔ vote of all member states.
- Section X creates the role of President of the Council. The President of the Council will serve as the chairperson of the Entente Council and will be responsible for leading meetings. The President of the Council will serve as chief spokesperson of the Entente with the assistance of the Secretary-General. The Presidency of the Council will rotate among all member states every 6 months.
Each member state is represented on the Drago Entente Council. The council meets weekly to discuss issues facing the entente and can meet on an emergency basis when called too under Article IV section V of the Pact. Every member state gets one vote on the DEC. Meetings of the DEC can happen at three levels, head of government, ministerial, and Permrep. Permrep meetings are the most frequent meetings that take place.
|Member State||Head of Government||Minister of Defense||Permanent Representative||Military Representative|
|Ajerrin||Noelan Kaliona||Hoku K'apa||Alana Iwanali||Admiral Kai Aukai|
|Arzvan Republic||Robertus Brēdžias||Martinas B. Topiras||Jontans Vandimes||Gen. Aurias Madovas|
|Aquidneck||Ruperto Petrillo||Renata Panzera||Cav. Caio Vito||Timoteo Persico|
|Carcossica||Lorens Raefen, Adriana Fess||Obert Shecoir||Martin Oisishyen||Else Jeshouve|
|Chalcia||Leonidas Stavridis||???||Andreas Vasiliades||???|
|Cuirpthe||Hans Walsh||Brian Mullen||Sheila McEvoy||Ellen McCarthy|
|Glanodel||Nikolaj Svendsen||Emil Iversen||Anna Storgaard||Søren Thuesen|
|Leiden||Kristofer Cornelis||Bonifacius Espen||Edgard Hendrick||Schyler Verena|
|Liiduria || Kaljo Harmaajärvi || Innar Klavan || Merilin Raud || Kaarel Olesk|
|Mascylla||Thomas Falkner||Leonard Fiebel||Matthias Brechter||Linda Höppe|
|Midrasia||Melcion Portas||Ulric Palos||Jean de Luc||Robert Maxence|
|Navack||Erick Svein||Olga Friëderich||Aexel Okliviærën||Aleksander Tholmes|
|Newrey||Sir Raymond Holt||James Willems||Adam Gilbert||William Blake Arnswold|
|Onza||Mustapha Ihejirika||Ruh El-Mofty||Kollen al-Din Khalifa||Mu'tasim Karim|
|Ústekia and Dýnaria||Elizabeta Ban||Vitomir Vrhovac||Antun Kowalski||Milovan Beslicz|
|Vrnallia||Zujka Cismachà||Jatkhulucicha Ljedi||Hagón Cieri||Pidna Mlazo|
Associates are nations that are invited to work closely with the Entente, but are not full member states and do not get a vote in the Drago Entente Council. They do however have representatives that may speak at the council. To become an associate the Entente Council must approve unanimously. The Secretary-General and the Supreme Commander cannot be elected from an observer state.
Every year a Drago Entente Summit takes place in one of the member states. This summit is attended by each member state's head of government or Minister of Defense. During the summit new leadership is elected as needed and the goals for the coming year are planned. There is also an expo where members give speeches encouraging new members to join or attempt to sell military hardware. After the expo there is usually a closed door session of the Entente Council.
|1st Entente Summit||Onza||Kunta, Onza|
Anti-Piracy Task Forces
The Entente is committed to increasing the safety of the high seas and making sure international shipping lanes are secure. To achieve this goal the Entente maintains several Anti-Piracy Task Forces.
Green Ocean Anti-Piracy Task Force
The Drago Entente is active in the Green Ocean particularly around the islands and southern Catai. Aquidneck maintains the Archimede Unit and Newrey, the Burmondsy Squadron. Both groups together make up the Green Ocean Anti-Piracy Task Force which aims to keep shipping lanes safe and secure from pirates and other disruptions. Both groups have been a part of rescue missions and counter-terrorism raid in addition to defending the islands of Mayawi and Burmondsy, which are integral parts of Aquidneck and Newrey respectively. Altogether the task force is made up of 16 ships and a couple hundred marines. The task force is commanded by Rear Admiral Bryan Landford of Newrey.
Arabekhi Anti-Piracy Task Force
The Arabekhi Anti-Piracy Task Force was formed after Onza became a member of the Drago Entente. The Military Committee appointed Rear Admiral Mahomet Khalifa as the Commander of the Arabekhi Anti-Piracy Task Force. The Task Force is based out of Oshaxas, Onza which is located on the northern tip of Onza. The force is made up of 12 Aquidish ships, 21 Newreyan ships, and 10 Onzaian ships. The task force will be focused around the waters of Saraibia along northern Arabekh to the Asur. It is charged with keeping the waterways safe and secure from terrorism and piracy.
The Drago Entente, working under the Aquidish-Newreyan Treaty, agreed to take part in Operation: Snowstorm, better known as the Johkan War. The war started when the government of Johka, acting on behalf of Great Noaidi, the spirirtual leader of Johka, declared that they would begin ethnic cleansing of the Johkk people. This announcement was met with almost immediate and universal condemnation from around Aeia. Aquidneck and Newrey joined Midrasia, Sagite, Ohen, and Frestovenia in forming a coalition to stop the Johkan government should the ultimatum not be accepted. Johka ignored the ultimatum and the the Johkan War began.
Both nations in the alliance sent troops and ships to aid the coalition in its mission. Newrey sent over 25,000 troops, 25 naval vessels, and 48 planes/helicopters while Aquidneck sent 30,000 troops, 17 naval vessels, and 56 airplanes/helicopters. The Newreyan and Aquidish troops were a part of the second attack group located in the southern part of Johka's eastern coastline. They saw heavy resistance even after sustained naval and air bombardment. Eventually after some tough fighting the Entente forces were able to make farther in land.
with the collapse of the Johkan government and the end of the attempted genocide Operation: Snowstorm was concluded. Most of the forces were pull back from Johka. The Entente left a small amount of troops, Aquidneck 4,000 and Newrey 2,000, behind as peacekeepers overseeing the formation of the new government with the coalition forces. Over time the number of troops would slowly wind down.
Strait of Torroso Crisis
After the conclusion of the war in Johka many of the troop, aircraft, and naval vessels were diverted to the Strait of Torroso. Torroso had seen a coup install a dictator at the beginning of the War in Johka, the dictator, Augustin Gessius, had even sent planes to aid Johka against coalition forces. While some members of the Johkan War Coalition did engage the Torrosoan Air Force, Entente forces were farther south and did not see any combat against the Torrosoans.
The Torrosoan Navy was also acting in an aggressive and hostile manner in the Strait of Torroso, particularly when it fired upon a Midrasian Naval Vessel. This aggression has been met with increased patrols by the Aquidish Navy of the strait especially after the United Democratic Emirates of Onza became the third member of the Entente. The Strait of Torroso is a vital shipping route for Aeia and particularly Aquidneck. While no combat had taken place, tensions were running high in the region. The area of operation of the Arabekhi Anti-Piracy Task Force includes the Strait of Torroso.
Tensions were cooled when Volgaria held a summit to discuss the crisis. The parties worked out a basic understanding and have agreed to more open communications and to respect the territorial waters of Torroso while at the same time maintaining the Strait as an international waterway.