Cavalier Main Battle Tank
|Cavalier Main Battle Tank|
Cavalier Mark 2
|Place of origin||Arthurista|
|Used by|| Commonwealth Army|
Kigeme Land Force
Allamunnic Federal Army
|Number built||12,000 units (sans exports)|
|Length||10m (gun forward)|
|Armor||cast steel and rolled homogenous steel (51-152mm RHA-equivalence), explosive-reactive armour (Mark 3 only)|
|Ordnance QF 17-pounder or Ordnance QF 20 pounder (Mark 1), L7 105mm L/52 rifled gun (Marks 2 and 3)|
|Typically 2x medium machine guns (M1919 in 7.7×56mmR or L6V in 7.62x51mm), co-axial and pintle mount. Pintle mount may be substituted with M2 HB in 12.7x99mm|
|Engine|| Vickers-Dener V-12 diesel|
|550km on road|
|Speed||50 kph on road|
The Cavalier was Arthurista's first main battle tank, succeeding the Constable Cruiser Tank as the most numerous tank in Commonwealth Army service. It came into service soon after the end of the Great Fascist War, during which the Commonwealth's tanks proved inadequate against Fascist armour. As such, Vickers Armstrong decided to create what was then-termed a 'Universal Tank': nearly as mobile as an old cruiser tank, as well-protected as an infantry tank and has the firepower to knock out heavy tanks at reasonable combat ranges. It was also intended to be a simple, dependable vehicle which could be easily maintained in the field, as well as straightforwardly upgraded, factors which boosted its sales among the third world countries of Pardes.
The first generation Mark 1 model was armed with a 17-pounder or, later, the 20-pounder rifled gun. Its secondary armaments consisted of a pair of M1919 medium machine guns chambered in 7.7x56mmR, one installed co-axially to the main gun, another on a pintle mount at the commander's hatch.
The Mark 2 variant of 1957 introduced an improved L7 105mm rifled gun, with an IR-illuminator replaced the floodlight for night fighting. Its auxiliary weapons were changed to a pair of L6 machine guns, not counting the ranging gun which fires special 12.7mm tracer rounds ballistic-matched with the main gun.
The Mark 3 was introduced in 1980, by which date the Commonwealth Army was already armed with the Endurance and was about to introduce the Boudicca. As such, it was conceived mainly as an export model to provide less well-resourced armies with a reasonably modern MBT. It features bricks of explosive reactive armour on the forward-arc of the turret and the glacis plate for improved resistance against HEAT ammunitions. The main gun received 3-axis stabilisation for accurate firing on the move. Passive thermal sights were made available for the gunner's and commander's stations, as well as a laser-rangefinder for the gunner, all of which tie into a new solid-state ballistics computer. It could fire new tungsten-cored APFSDS ammunition, as well as the laser-guided AVO-2 "Cricket Bat", Arthurista's first gun-launched anti-tank missile.
In the mid-1970s, the Republic of Kigeme began licensed production of the Cavalier, under the name Ekwensu. It was produced with support from both Vickers Armstrong and the nations within the Skanderian Union. In the 1990s, a large number of Ekwensu tanks were shipped to Dniegua, which were then modernized by Bofors. The tanks were given a complete and comprehensive upgrade, including improved ERA, a Sieuxerrian IRV optic, a hunter-killer system along with an improved FCS to make use of new ammunition and various other improvements were added. Additionally, the contract included the latest and most effective 105mm ammunition, both HEAT and APFSDS. The Ekwensu V tanks are considered to be the most capable model of the Cavalier to date, and are expect to be in service until 2025.
- Cavalier Mark 1 (Ordnance QF 20 pounder)
- Cavalier Mark 2 (L7 105mm L/52, IR illuminator)
- Cavalier Mark 3 (Main gun tri-axis stabilisation, ERA, passive thermal sight, laser rangefinder, ballistic computer, GL-ATGM integration)
- Ekwensu MBT (Improved ERA, Sieuxerrian FCS, improved main gun ammunition)
- Cavalier AVCE ("Armoured Vehicle Commonwealth Engineers" - 165mm demolition mortar, engineering equipment
- Cavalier ARV ("Armoured Recovery Vehicle")
- Cavalier Bridgelayer
- Cavalier MGC ("Medium Gun Carrier" - 5.5-inch self-propelled gun)
- Cavalier AA Mk. 1 (Cavalier chassis equipped with quadruple MG 213 20mm revolver cannons, blueprints for which was captured during the war. Early models had simple electro-optical sights. Later upgraded with radar range-finding and target-acquisition equipment)
- Cavalier AA Mk. 2 (Carrier for Rapier missile)
- Cavalier AA Mk. 3 (Equipped with Marksman anti-aircraft system)
Olyfynt Family Vehicles
Starting from 1948, a licensed domestic production variant of the Cavalier was produced in the Allamunnic States. Designated the M48 Olyfynt, the tank would become a ubiquitous part of Allamunnic armored forces for the next half-century, upgraded and refitted numerous times to accommodate the evolving needs of the Allamunnic Federal Army and Allamunnic Federal Guard. The original M48 was itself a variant of the Cavalier, modified to use a diesel rather than petrol engine. In 1991, a modified design supplanted the M48, the M91/V Olyfynt, also known as the Olyfynt V, which was originally intended to be a straight upgrade, but instead wound up having its chassis elongated to accommodate new systems and a larger main cannon. The M91 has been partially supplanted in Federal service, in turn, by the M15/VII Olyfynt.
The ubiquitousness of Olyfynt tanks led to Allamunnic tankers receiving the nickname "Olyfynt Riders".
Main Battle Tanks
- M48/I Olyfynt (1948) - Allamunnic domestic production model of original Cavalier MBT. Modified for 750hp diesel engine.
- M48/II Olyfynt (1957) - Upgraded to Arthuristan 105mm L7 gun. IR illuminator added. Belly armor reinforced.
- M48/III Olyfynt (1966) - Torsion bar suspension added. Transmission changed to 3-speed semiautomatic system.
- M48/IV Olyfynt (1976) - Hand-held laser range-finder added. Belly armor reinforced. Sideskirt armor added to protect drive wheels.
- M91/V Olyfynt (1991) - New production model. Turret redesigned to house Vulksaron SG4 (120mm smoothbore gun). Ceramic-composite armor. Undercarriage given v-shape and reinforced to deflect mines and improvised explosive devices. Engine upgraded to 1100hp diesel. Computerized fire-control system.
- M48 ARV - Armored recovery vehicle
- M48 ENG - Armored engineering equipment vehicle
- M48 BR - Bridge-laying vehicle
- M48 FG155 - Propelled 155mm field gun
- M48 HW203 - Propelled 203mm howitzer
- M48 AA - Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun System
- M48 AA2 - Propelled Anti-Aircraft Missile Defense System
- M48 RML - Rapid-deployment minelayer
- M48 APC - Armored personnel carrier