|Alemannic Council Republic
|Motto: «Кеен Готтер одер Киннекен, нэмме Фолке»
«Keen Gôtter oder Kinneken, nêmme Folke»
"No Gods or Kings, Only Man"
|Anthem: «Дер Интернатионалер»
|Recognised national languages||Alovallish|
|Ethnic groups (2010)||No official records|
|Government||Hoferist directorial republic|
|-||Valish Empire||ca. 250 BCE|
|-||Second Empire||ca. 1690 CE|
|-||Heavenly Revolution||19 August, 1818|
|-||New Social Contract||19 February, 1898|
|GDP (PPP)||2017 estimate|
|GDP (nominal)||2017 estimate|
|HDI (2017)|| 0.952
|Drives on the||left|
|ISO 3166 code||AL|
Alemannia (Teutonic: Aлemaниeн tr. Alemanien), officially the Democratic Confederation of the Tynic (Alovalish: Демократеше Конфедератиоун вун дер Тинише tr. Demokrateše Konfederatioun vun der Tiniše), is a sovereign syndicalist state, governed out of the capital city of Tetange. Covering an area of roughly [Area] square kilometres, Alemannia is home to an estimated 53 million people. Located in central Nordania, Alemannia borders, from clockwise, Eibenland, Oelia, and Ostrinubia.
The area comprising modern-day Alemannia has been inhabited since 15,000 BCE by Proto-Chichimeca and Celtic peoples, and inhabited by Teutons since the Late Bronze Age. Nomadic tribes, located in what is presently northwestern Alemannia, united under the Vals over the Wirse River Valley, and under the Valish Chieftain Gutthikas the Valish Kingdom was formed. Under Unwen, the Valish Kingdom would expand to form the Valish Empire, occupying most of central Nordania. From 253 BCE until 1179 CE, the Valish Kingdom (and later Empire) would be one of the most influential powers on the continent, and the second largest empire in history. Internal strife and unrest would lead to the gradual decline of Valish Empire until its collapse in 1190 CE.
The death of the heir less Hasso Wigmar Kaysar in 1234 triggered the collapse of the nominal Valish rump state into various polities split alongside Imperial administrative lines. By the 14th century, these entities had been united, either through conquest of marriage, by various cadet families of the Kaysarling line. The so-called Black Age lasted until 1689 when the Unkaysarate, led by the Hahptman Auchann was victorious at the Battle of the Saale, leading to the submission of the Ulv Kaysarate. With its capitulation, Auchann II declared the restoration of the Kaysarling line to the historical Valish throne, thus creating the Second Valish Empire. Unlike its predecessor, the Second Empire was short lived and following the Famine of 1845, the monarchy was overthrown and the Alemannic Republic was erected in its place. Severe economic depression led to the Alemannic revolution in 1899, in which an estimated 30% of the population was killed. The revolution ended in 1907 with a syndicalist victory and the creation of the Alemannic Union of Syndicates.
Officially, Alemannia is a confederation of seven commonwealths, themselves composed of communes and other autonomous territories. The New Social Contract serves as the nation's constitution. The Trade Unions' Congress operates as the nation's legislature and is the basis for which the power of the Central Directorate and the Supreme Court of the Farmers and the Workers derive their power from. The Trade Unions' Congress is headed by the General Secretary. The executive branch is the Central Directorate, which is headed by the Chairperson of the Central Diretorate, a role analogous to a head of state. Alemannia is unique in that it does not have political parties, with all members of the All-Trade Unions' and People's Congress being indirectly elected through the Trade Unions. The current First Secretary is Iše Werplanke, who was elected on 26 September, and the current Chairman is Abdelrehmann Storl.
Alemannia is considered to be a developed country. The national economy is considered to be post-industrial, characterised by strong government intervention, strong workers rights, workplace democracy, and worker cooperatives with a highly skilled labour force, low perceived corruption, and high levels of innovation. Alemannia is a founder of the Internationale and is a member of the International League.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Geography
- 4 Politics
- 5 Demographics
- 6 Culture
The name Alemannia is an exonym and used exclusively by foreign entities to refer to the Union of Syndicates. The name is believed to be derived from the Valish "Olamani," meaning "all men." "Olamani" was used by the Latin Republic as the title for the First Valish Empire (ca. 280 BCE - ca. 1190 CE), due to the multicultural and multiethnic nature of the Empire. The collapse of the Valish Empire ca. 1190 CE led to a gradual adoption of the term by the Valish rump state, which itself was the homeland of the Alvaric, Munderic, and Valish tribes.
Domestically, the name "Alemannia" is not used outside of referring to the polity that existed from ca. 1190 CE to ca. 1234 CE. This owes largely to the work of the Syndicalist government, which successfully associated the exonym with the bourgeoisie. In its place, Alemannia is referred to as simply "the People and the Republic" (дac Вoлк yнд диe Peпyблик/das Volk und die Republik) in common parlance or the Union of Syndicates (Cиндикатeңcбyнд/Sindikatensbund) in an official capacity.
- Settlement since ~15,000 BCE, Baden culture ~3,400 BCE
- Germanic migration southward over the course of the Bronze Age through Iron Age
- Germanic migration south causes conflict with native celts (which fled northwest into Daecon) and the Chichimeca (who fled southward)
- ~600 BCE, natives have either assimilated or fled
- Vals unite under the Chieftain Gutthikas
- Unwen expands the Valish Kingdom and creates the Valish Empire
- Internal strife causes the Valish Empire to collapse in 1173
- Valish rump state collapses into numerous petty kingdoms
- Noble families consolidate power and five quasi-khanates are formed
- Khanates largely keep to their own
- not!Ilkhanate finally decides that there needs to be a unified state and begins warring its neighbours
- In 1638, not!Ilkhanate finally wins and forms the Second Valish Empire
- Second Empire decided to go full revanchism against its neighbours
- Sadness and self-loathing followed
- Famine in 1848 lead to the monarchy being overthrown
- Anarchy is in place for the first couple years
- Government is established through the 1850 Constitutional Convention, firmly based on Aucurian enlightenment ideals
- Slavery and serfdom get abolished
- Nordania's first legitimate democracy?
- Freedom of thought creates a newfound aura of thinking not seen since the late First Valish Empire; during which Syndicalism and other leftist theories are developed
- Industrialisation occurs, with it, firm classism occurs with it
- So-called Unionists, adherents to proto-Statosyndicalism, begin militarisation of trade unions
- Gangs of New York but with trade unionists against industrialists
Second Republican Revolution
- Paris Commune situation develops as the poorer neighbourhoods rebel in protest against the national government
- Rather than pull a Thiers, trade union representatives are allowed into the Alemannic parliament as equals to elected parliamentarians
- Inspired by the "Weichltal Commune" (Beиxлдтaлишe Koммyнe/Weichldtalishe Kommune), other townships, hamlets, etc pull a similar move
- The Trade Unionists (now formerly "Statosyndicalists"), with popular support, declare a Petrograd Soviet and creating Dual power with the existing First Republic
- National Government loses control of the military, which formally sides with the Statosyndicalists
- Backed by the military, the Statosyndicalists dissolve parliament indefinitely and proclaim the Trade Unions' Congress in its place.
- First Republic officially dissolved via the New Social Contract, succeeded by the so-called Union of Syndicates
- Continental War fought as neighbours realise the largest continental nation succumbing to syndicalism isn't a good thing.
- Country rebuilds, Modern day Alemannic government is formed during this time as the creation of the Economic Planning Committee obtains unparalleled power
- Project Cybersyn is theorised during the 1940s, groundwork laid down for it in the 1950s
- August War sees Eisarndal invaded; Project Cybersyn fully implemented by the war's conclusion
- Becomes isolationist as it withdraws from the Internationale in 198X.
- Rapprochement and detente with the remainder of Nordania and Esquarium
Geographyworld and the largest within Nordania; additionally Alemannia is the largest land-locked nation within the world. The nation borders, from clockwise, Eibenland, Swastria, Pavonistade, Karazawa, Oelia, and Eisarndal. Its closest ideological ally, Ostrinubia, is only 136.5 kilometres away, separated by Eisarndal.
The terrain of Alemannia can be grouped into four major geographical zones: the Central Nordanian Steppe, the highlands, the Aldrish Desert, and the lowlands. The Alemannic highlands are found in the southwestern regions of the nation. Stretching from the Cirdian plateau to the Pavonistadean borderlands, the highlands are home to the majority of Alemannia's forests. The majority of trees in Alemannia are deciduous and shed their leaves in accordance to temperature. The highest point in Alemannia is Fax, in the Warza range, at 1,038 metres (3,406 ft) tall. Conversely, the lowest point is Falzenzee at 62 metres (203 ft) below sea level.
The Central Nordanian Steppe is the central geographic feature of Alemannia and itself covers roughly 70% (2,030,517 square kilometres) of the nation. Owing to the Central Nordanian Steppe's fertility, much of Alemannia's arable land is found in the nation's interior. Because of this, Alemannia is considered to be a global breadbasket. The culturally named Corn Belt (Маcгюpтeл/Maisgûrtel) stretches nearly the entirety of the country's interior and comprises nearly 35% of global maize production. Due to size alone, the majority of the country's population resides in the Central Nordanian Steppe.
The lowlands are found in the northwest of the country and stretches from the Swastro-Eibenlander border southwestward towards Eisarndal. The area is famous for its serene rolling hills and wetlands. The majority of the nation's freshwater is sourced in the Alemannic lowlands, leading to historical conflict over the area.
Due to its substantial size, Alemannia has a varied climate that differs from region-to-region. The interior and east of the nation is considerably more fertile than the north. The south is noticeably warmer and more tropical, and is home to large swathes of temperate rainforest. The north is arid in part to its proximity to the [DESERT NAME]. Desertification of northern Alemannia has largely been halted thanks to extensive, albeit expensive, environmental policies enact by various government organisations.
The resulting weather, caused in part by seasonal changes of solar angle and by season change of the position of the jet streams. Despite being landlocked, Alemannia's relative close proximity to the Tynic and Lazarene seas and the Mercorian Ocean, allows the bodies of water to moderate its climate. The warm current found in the Tynic allows the eastern lowlands to be noticeably warmer than the rest of the country. Likewise, the warm Lazarene current leads to the subtropical south to experience much more precipitation than the nation's interior.
Occupying similar longitudinal bands as neighbours Eisarndal, Oelia, and Ostrinubia, Alemannia faces noticeable climatic differences due to its landlocked position. Alemannia predominantly falls in a hemiboreal clime (Dfb), characterised by cool summers in which the average summer temperatures do not rise beyond 28°C. As one travels south, the hemiboreal climate gives way to Humid subtropical climate (Cfa), characterised by the coldest month not dipping below 0°C. The change from hemiboreal to humid subtropical is typically marked by the 28th parallel. The extreme north of the country is cold semi-arid clime (BSk). This is due the [DESERT NAME], caused by the rain shadow of the Nordanian Mountains. The average summer temperature for Alemannia is 26°C and the average winter temperature being -2°C.
|Climate data for Weichltal, northwestern Alemannia|
|Average high °C (°F)||−3
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−6.5
|Average low °C (°F)||−10
|Precipitation mm (inches)||53
|Source: Nordanian Meteorological Society|
- Traditional literature
- Maybe sagas of some kind?
- Modern literature (say hello to Tolkien)
- Historical folk music
- Hard rock, not to be confused with the restaurant
- Trance and Electronica
- Lots of Socialist Realism
- Traditional foods
- Beef and other meats
- Primarily rice-based, but lots of potatoes too
- Alcohol (Sake? probably beer to a lesser extent)
- Ice hockey
- Association football